Need help with PC laptop and monitor

B

bahamut727

my friend gave me his old pc laptop. it works fine except the screen doesnt work, but i have a flat panel monitor that i can use on it and kind of have a second desktop.

problem is when i plug the monitor in it doesnt work... im assuming it needs new drivers or something. what can i do? the computer wont start up on its own (well it will start up i just cant see anything). Is there a way i can install the drivers from my mac or anything?

thank you for any help you can offer

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is the Make and Model of this PC Laptop? Most I have used have a Keyboard selection of Internal, External and Both for monitors. It's usually the Function key and one of the F-Keys. Give me the info and I will check for you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
bahamut727 said:
it is a....::checks::..... Compaq Presario 700

I have looked all over for a manual but so far just setup guides. There should be an Fn key on the bottom left of the keyboard. Check the F-Keys F1-F12 or whatever it has, see if you see a key with a monitor symbol on it. With it booted hit the Fn key and that Fkey and your external should display. If you can't find the symbol try it with every Fkey holding Fn and the key and see if one brings the display to life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
start the laptop, after a while try pressing "fnc + F5" or something smilar, this should go through the possible display modes.

you can also make sure the monitor is plugged in, and as soon as you power on the laptop, close the lid.

Cam

Reaction score
You sure the laptop isn't just bust? Not just the screen but the whole thing? My old heap doesn't work sometimes for no obvious reason so I just drop it from 6 inches a few times and it jumps into life - my screens cracked and I use a seperate flat screen, so I cant really do too much more damage to it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.