Need help deciding on MacBook

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This is my first post, and hopefully I've asked this in the right section.

I am considering getting a new MacBook and I have a dilemma. I have always used PC's and I would like to have Windows XP as an option on my computer.

Now, I have found that Macmall (has anyone done business with them before?) has the 13" White 2Ghz Intel (60GB hard drive, 512 MB Ram) with Windows pre-installed for 1349. I would want the Apple care plane so add $249 to that I'm looking at a total of $1598.

If I go directly through Apple, since I am a student, I can get some decent discounts and get the same computer but with an 80 GB hard drive and 1GB of Ram, with the Apple care plan for a total of $1580 (Apple charges tax). But, it doesn't have Windows on it.

My question is, do I give up the bigger hard drive and more Ram to get Windows, or do I just go with the one from Apple without Windows. Is there going to be a huge difference in the one with more ram and a bigger hard drive (enough to give up having Windows)?

Thanks for any advice you can afford me, I really appreciate it!

Reaction score
I can't find this MacMall offer.

But I can tell you this much:

You have to calculate the price for windows. Compare your Macmall computer a version on apple.com with the same specs. The price difference should be that windows licence. If you are saving money on buying windows, do so.
Windows itself takes up about 4-7 GB of HD space, and I don't know how much Macmall partitions your drive.

For the RAM, I can only say get as much as you can. You can always put windows on later. Depends if you even really need it. I for one, don't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
I would buy directly from Apple so that you can get exactly what you want and use your discount. If you want to install Windows later, it's relatively easy to do so. MacMall uses Boot Camp, which is currently a public beta offered by Apple. Boot Camp requires that you partition the hard drive and you must shut down OS X to run Windows. It's free for the time being, but it will be included in the next major OS X release, 10.5. There's also the option of virtualization, which is available from Parallels Desktop. This allows you to install Windows on a virtual hard drive and run Windows inside OS X. So you can use Windows applications at the same time you're using OS X applications. Parallels costs $80. Oh, I forgot to mention that you do need to purchase a copy of Windows for these programs to work. OEM versions of XP Home are available for about $90.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/
http://parallels.com/

OP
Reaction score
Really, I use my laptop for school and movies/music. I don't see any issues there as Macs are known for having superior Audio/Video capabilities. I;m probably just nervous about the switch. I like to try and have something to fall back on just in case, and in this case it's Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
Yeah initially when making the switch I thought I might have trouble leaving Windows behind. Once I got my macbook and tarted sinking my teeth into OSX I left Windows behind completely. Why not worry about XP after some time. That way you can spend more money pimpin your macbook. If at that point you really needed, THEN spring for parallels.

OP
Reaction score
^^^
I think I will. I'll go with the one directly from Apple. Also, glad to see someone from MO here.

OP
Reaction score
I pciked up the new Mac last night. I decided to go to the Apple Store since they were honoring the same deals as Apple online. Thanks for the advice eveyone, I do appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
03civda said:
I pciked up the new Mac last night. I decided to go to the Apple Stire since they were honoring the same deals as Apple online. Thanks for the advice eveyone, I do appreciate it.

That's a good idea because you'll have an easier time with warranty issues should any problems arise - always better to buy directly from Apple than a 3rd party vendor imo.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.