• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

When I do get a Mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, 2.16GHz, 2GB Ram, 500GB Serial ATA, 256MB Video Ram
Have any tips for me to keep it running smooth and nice?
And about how loud are iMac's?

M

menace3054

onyx, available at versiontracker.com is a very nice utility to run maintence scripts and things like that. repairing permissions, using disk utility, is good after installs and anytime you notice your computer getting sluggish. If you dont mind paying the money, techtool pro is a very nice suite for diagnosing hardware problems and running a disk defragments to really help keep performance high.

OP
Nate
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info menace! :)

Reaction score
I know it's itching. I registered here a year before I got the mac, too. Almost a year. And I also started asking all those questions, not knowing what it all meant. But hey, in german they say "Vorfreude ist die schönste Freude" - The enjoyment in waiting for something is the best enjoyment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Nate said:

They're not loud at all. I think the only time I've heard my fans spin was when they released a firmware update that purposely spun the fans to max to fix some problem.

Reaction score
I could be wrong...but....??

menace3054 said:
onyx, available at versiontracker.com is a very nice utility to run maintence scripts and things like that. repairing permissions, using disk utility, is good after installs and anytime you notice your computer getting sluggish.

Hi,

I run my iMac G5 24/7 and was of the belief that these maintenace scripts ran automatically, usually overnight, and that they repaired permissions too.

Now, for the life of me I can't recall where I heard it or read it and I stand corrected if I'm wrong, but before I started leaving my G5 on 24/7 my Permissions were in a shambles.....

OP
Nate
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yogi said:
I know it's itching. I registered here a year before I got the mac, too. Almost a year. And I also started asking all those questions, not knowing what it all meant. But hey, in german they say "Vorfreude ist die schönste Freude" - The enjoyment in waiting for something is the best enjoyment.
Cool, thanks for the inspiration! :)

OP
Nate
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dohidied said:
They're not loud at all. I think the only time I've heard my fans spin was when they released a firmware update that purposely spun the fans to max to fix some problem.
Cool, thanks for info! Because my Gateway is SOOO loud! I can hear it right now VROOOM! Its a 04' too!

Reaction score
No dude, my iMac just purrs sometimes when it seems to be doing some cleanup, bt initially I couldn't make out whether it was on in the first place unless I saw the screen. Sometimes I thought it was off, coz the screen had blanked and I movded the mouse to find out it was already on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Pulse-8 said:
Hi,

I run my iMac G5 24/7 and was of the belief that these maintenace scripts ran automatically, usually overnight, and that they repaired permissions too.

Now, for the life of me I can't recall where I heard it or read it and I stand corrected if I'm wrong, but before I started leaving my G5 on 24/7 my Permissions were in a shambles.....
Permissions Repair is not part of the nightly maitenance. That only runs the cron scripts. You must run Permissions Repair manually. Outside of that, yes there really is no need for Onyx, MacJanitor...etc. if you leave your Mac on 24/7.

N

ngcomputing

Nate said:
Have any tips for me to keep it running smooth and nice?

I've got a PowerMac G5 Dual. I bought it refurbished about 2 years go and saved a chunk of cash (when you buy refurbished from Apple, it carries the same warranty, in addition, as long as the warranty is not expired, you can buy additional years -- TRY THAT with a Dell.) I've never had to do any maintenance on the system -- it just runs smooth, quiet and coming from the PC world -- um, when things work & quietly, that is really scary (with Windows this means you just spent the weekend getting CTS rather than spending some time with your girlfriend or the guys).

Bascially, after 19 years of dealing with PC's, building, repairing, fixing, I really focused on building a web development business about 10 years ago. The great thing I found, is that after you have "geek-fun" tweaking systems, playing games and the such, when you want to sit down and seriously run a business, for PROFIT, you can fire your Mac up and "get all of the business done" without all the hassles you get out of a pc.

In short, if your someone that gets off on spending your days fixing, hacking and tweaking up your computer to get another 1% out of the CPU a MAC is not for you, if you want a system that you can fire up and let it run for months (even a year or two) while you get some real work done, that makes you some money, you need a MAC. But, then again, under the hood you have Darwin Linux - when you want to get in a freaky-SuperGod-mode you'll easly find that playing with XP's pseudo command line prompt was a joke.

N

ngcomputing

dohidied said:

You are seriously joking, right?

CPU & System Fan Firmware Update 1.2.3 - Don't think I've ever seen that on any computer. Oh, I get it, it runs a program that activates the mini Dremel which keeps the ball bearings round & slick-ah-dee like. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
ngcomputing said:
You are seriously joking, right?

CPU & System Fan Firmware Update 1.2.3 - Don't think I've ever seen that on any computer. Oh, I get it, it runs a program that activates the mini Dremel which keeps the ball bearings round & slick-ah-dee like. :D

What? It was the SMC Firmware Upgrade in May.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303725

OP
Nate
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ngcomputing said:
I've got a PowerMac G5 Dual. I bought it refurbished about 2 years go and saved a chunk of cash (when you buy refurbished from Apple, it carries the same warranty, in addition, as long as the warranty is not expired, you can buy additional years -- TRY THAT with a Dell.) I've never had to do any maintenance on the system -- it just runs smooth, quiet and coming from the PC world -- um, when things work & quietly, that is really scary (with Windows this means you just spent the weekend getting CTS rather than spending some time with your girlfriend or the guys).

Bascially, after 19 years of dealing with PC's, building, repairing, fixing, I really focused on building a web development business about 10 years ago. The great thing I found, is that after you have "geek-fun" tweaking systems, playing games and the such, when you want to sit down and seriously run a business, for PROFIT, you can fire your Mac up and "get all of the business done" without all the hassles you get out of a pc.

In short, if your someone that gets off on spending your days fixing, hacking and tweaking up your computer to get another 1% out of the CPU a MAC is not for you, if you want a system that you can fire up and let it run for months (even a year or two) while you get some real work done, that makes you some money, you need a MAC. But, then again, under the hood you have Darwin Linux - when you want to get in a freaky-SuperGod-mode you'll easly find that playing with XP's pseudo command line prompt was a joke.
Wow, thanks alot ng, thats alot of info, +Rep for all that info! :black:

Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:
Permissions Repair is not part of the nightly maitenance. That only runs the cron scripts. You must run Permissions Repair manually. Outside of that, yes there really is no need for Onyx, MacJanitor...etc. if you leave your Mac on 24/7.

Thanks for clarifying that, D3v1L80Y.

One question tho', when I go to Disc Utility and am asked to select the disc to "repair" and there are 2; the 1st is a name I don't recognize but the one below and indented is the name I've given my Hard Disc......

Well, I know I only have the one HD but I've never really been sure if I need to repair each seperately or just repair the recognisably named disc?

Logic tells me that as I've only 1 HD that repairing either is one and the same, but as I said I've never really been 100% sure......?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.