Can't keep up with the changes.....IP that is!

Reaction score
Hi,

I searched through this forum for an answer to my problem and maybe I couldn't find one due to my not knowing how to word my search....anyway here goes....

This problem seems to have started since I configured my PC to connect to my iMac. When it was all done from the iMac I never had any problems....

When I'm on the PC and I want to connect to my iMac, I go to to the start menu>search>computers or people>a computer on the network, then I type the IP address of my iMac.

This usually works fine. I then put a shortcut to the iMac on my PC desktop.

The problem begins the next day when, on the PC I double-click on the shortcut to the iMac but the window that opens is displaying the contents of my shared PC folder.

I know that my ISP doles out new IP addresses and this is the primary cause of my situation, but, surely there's a way to connect to my network either from the iMac or PC where the computers just know where to find each other regardless of changed IP's?

I hope this isn't a common ailment and I'm adding to it.

OP
N
Reaction score
Anil_robo said:
I have the same problem. Someone help us please.

1. Open Zone Alarm.

2. Click on the Firewall selection on the left side.

3. In the lower right corner click on the Add button and select IP Range.

4. Configure the following parameters:

Zone: Trusted
IP Address: 192.168.1.100
IP Address: 192.168.1.120
Description: Internal Network

5. Click the ok button.

6. Click the Apply button.

7. Exit out of Zone Alarm (don't shut it down though).

Worked for me.......:rolleyes:

Reaction score
I have installed Ubuntu Linux on the windows box, so I have more control over firewall now. Thanks for sharing your method anyway! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.