• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How to Backup my Dvd?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2.6GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB DDR3L RAM, 512GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if there was a way to Copy the contents of a DVD to my MacBook Pro? Is there any build-in programs that can do it (B-sides Disk Utility) and if not, are there any freeware progams that anyone knows about? Im using an Intel chip, so Im not very sure everything will work properly (macTheripper, popcorn, etc)

Thank You
Primal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
MacTheRipper

There is also a beta version you can get by donating to the developer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
OK... let me take this a step further. On windows, so my kids dont kill the orignial DVD, I have DVDSHRINK 3.2 and nero. Now, anyone thats used this knows that its just one program, and you just have to make like 3 clicks and y ou're done an hour or so later.

Is there a proggie on the Mac that does this as well or we stuck doing it via MtR & Toast?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
ehh... its STILL a 2 step process... and correct me if im wrong.. but i still need to use mtr to rip it right? besides..im not trying to compress it...just wanna make a back up so my kids dont kill all the dvd's.

::::::muttering:::::****thingsarewaytoofrackinexpensivejustwishstevo'dgetoffhisarseandhurryupthedangimovestorealready!;::::::::::::::::

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
MacTheRipper and Popcorn or MacTheRipper and Toast. There is no "one App" solution on the Mac at this time.

Popcorn will do it, but most DVDs have some kind of protection and Popcorn won't work with them, hence the need for MTR.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Baggss is correct. If it was just a DVD you created yourself, you could just use Toast or Popcorn, but to make BackUps for your kids of paid for movies, it's a Two Step process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah.. thats what I thought. Oh well.... Maybe an automator script?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DVD2oneX
Can't believe no one said this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
johninc said:
DVD2oneX
Can't believe no one said this

toast has taken over dvd2ones necessity. why buy two apps to do what the purchase of one app can do???

mactheripper and toast is the best solution, hands down, no real further discussion necessary.
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
coach_z said:
toast has taken over dvd2ones necessity. why buy two apps to do what the purchase of one app can do???

mactheripper and toast is the best solution, hands down, no real further discussion necessary.
-chris

Someone asked for an app that did it all in one. Though I'm not sure DVD2one actually does I thought I'd throw it out there anyways.

Reaction score
Ok,
DVDShrink is no longer in development. So it does not always work on the new encryption. There are ways on the PC to still get it done, but that in turn, becomes a nice long process. Mac the Ripper is a great APP, there are Beta Versions for the newer copy protection on the newer dvds. There is a full version, stable version of Mac the RIpper; version 2.6.6. To get the latest beta, there is a requirement of a donation. This is pretty much the only way on Mac to rip DVDs.

Toast is a great app. It does do a bit of things. Toast 7 is the latest on that, and is worth every penny. As johninc says, DVD2OneX does have a burn engine built in. I do prefer the compression much better on DVD2OneX than Toast.

Compression is usually needed when "backing up" a dvd. Sometimes if you strip out just the movie using DVD2OneX, you don't need to compress that, as that may fit on a single layer 4.7gb disc. Then again, you could always buy the Dual Layer DVD, 8.5GBs. Those bad boys are still too expensive for my tastes. Unless you are just leaving them on your machine and playing the VIDEO_TS off your hard drive, you will need compression. You could always use handbrake to rip the dvd. That can get you an MPG4 file, and have compress so much that the qualilty just isn't there. That one is free, it does usually just strip out the main movie, but I am not sure how it is handling the latest copy protection.

The only applescript I have seen so far in trying to do this, is "ONE". It is actually made by a friend of the Mac the Ripper developer. All the script does is just use the same programs. Mac the RIpper, Toast, and I believe DVD2OneX. So you will still need the programs to do this process.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.