• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apocalypse Now!

A

AstralZenith

EDIT: End of the World**

lets all face it, nothing good will come of this Iraq shiz

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Not sure what you mean. Talking with a few ex-military men. They think we will strike on a moonless night. That would be April 1st (no moon). Also March 27, I believe would be also a target date. The problem is Bush want to go at it now.

OP
A

AstralZenith

yeah, I agree with that, the US has a huge advantage on a moonless night like you say, but again... bush is going to push for imediate action

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i blame REM...........................

That’s great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes, an aeroplane -
Lenny Bruce is not afraid. Eye of a hurricane, listen to yourself churn -
world serves its own needs, don’t misserve your own needs. Feed it up a knock,
speed, grunt no, strength no. Ladder structure clatter with fear of height,
down height. Wire in a fire, represent the seven games in a government for
hire and a combat site. Left her, wasn’t coming in a hurry with the furies
breathing down your neck. Team by team reporters baffled, trump, tethered
crop. Look at that low plane! Fine then. Uh oh, overflow, population,
common group, but it’ll do. Save yourself, serve yourself. World serves its
own needs, listen to your heart bleed. Tell me with the rapture and the
reverent in the right - right. You vitriolic, patriotic, slam, fight, bright
light, feeling pretty psyched.

It’s the end of the world as we know it.
It’s the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

Six o’clock - TV hour. Don’t get caught in foreign tower. Slash and burn,
return, listen to yourself churn. Lock him in uniform and book burning,
blood letting. Every motive escalate. Automotive incinerate. Light a candle,
light a motive. Step down, step down. Watch a heel crush, crush. Uh oh,
this means no fear - cavalier. Renegade and steer clear! A tournament,
a tournament, a tournament of lies. Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives
and I decline.

It’s the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

The other night I tripped a nice continental drift divide. Mountains sit in a line.
Leonard Bernstein.
Leonid Breshnev, Lenny Bruce and Lester Bangs.
Birthday party, cheesecake, jelly bean, boom! You symbiotic, patriotic,
slam, but neck, right? Right.

It’s the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine...fine...

(It’s time I had some time alone)

OP
A

AstralZenith

you cant deny that there will be serious over population in the next 50 years, so i really doubt humans will be living for 10 billion more years... I would say 1000 at the most... earth will be a wasteland in the next 500... but what do i care, ill be long dead, ill let my children's childern's... children worry about it

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:blink: :unsure: :blink:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
well in roughly 50 years we have made exponential strides in science and expedition. i mean we made it to mars... so we can assume within 50 years we will land on mars, which is expected to be habitable for life, since it is the most like our own planet.

second. there is plenty of space. visit west texas and then tell me that we will be over populated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Don't you guys watch Enterprise? Jeesh... :)

Pretty soon the Vulcans will make their presence known, and we will be all set!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I lost track of Enterprise. I watch most of the first season, then fell behind. :(

OP
A

AstralZenith

Originally posted by MacAddikt@Mar 20 2003, 02:02 AM
well in roughly 50 years we have made exponential strides in science and expedition. i mean we made it to mars... so we can assume within 50 years we will land on mars, which is expected to be habitable for life, since it is the most like our own planet.

second. there is plenty of space. visit west texas and then tell me that we will be over populated
:huh:

I dont really follow your points, they dont seem to be logical at all, atleaset from my point of view...

Mars is still inhabitable, if we bring our own water, and set up independent food sources in green houses, we still cant account for the sand storms, and the temperture, which arnt close to anything like we have on earth. We arnt there now, and we wont be there in 50 years.

west texas maybe under populated, aswell as alsaka and the norther regions of the world, but several scientists predict in the next century massive over population and either droughts, vamine or wide spread disease and some belive that we have already more people then food will permit (i forget what this concept is called, the absolute population or somehting).

im talkign globaly not west texas

This already happens to animal populations every year, but the thing that makes human over popualtion so dagerous is our way of damaging the enviroment as we go.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
{AstralZenith @ Mar 20 2003, 09:39 AM}
Mars is still inhabitable, if we bring our own water, and set up independent food sources in green houses, we still cant account for the sand storms, and the temperture, which arnt close to anything like we have on earth. We arnt there now, and we wont be there in 50 years.

Are you saying that Mars is not an M5 planet. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How long have they been saying this type of stuff? At least as long as they have been talking about global warming.... It's rediculous. The animal populations grow smaller because we willingly kill them. The population will grow and eventually it will come down to Darwin's Theory of Evolution. Only the stong will survive.

As far as Mars goes. We absolutely can sustain life there. Ever hear of terraforming? The basis of this is that the weather has NOTHING to do with the life there. We will create our own artificial weather. We could easily live in bubbles on Mars. Or even the moon for that matter. There is already water on the moon, we just need to figure out how to melt it and control it.

Granted these things aren't possible NOW, but in 50 years who knows. Computers were calculators up until like 15 years ago. Look at what they do now.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
A

AstralZenith

not the "population of animals", animal populations... the biology concept. I brought that up to show how populations that grow as rapidly as the human population, will dip and since humans are like yeast (pollute their enviroment) it will be a big "dip". No one said humans would be over populated in the year 2000, 100 years ago, and if they did wars were the reason they were flawed... (they are saying that over population will be a thing of the next century, and look at some statistics... it will)

I still refuse to beilve a perment colony is something that we could do today, and I doubt even in 50 years. If you claim technically it is possible, it isnt yet because: it hasnt been done before (so mistakes are just expected), and we have a hard enough time getting a drone to that planet much less humans. (so there is another 50 years of trial and error after how ever many years it takes to get the resources ready) if it were possible now, they would do it now, or do expiremenal colonies. But supposing it is possible, no country is going to support the money needed, so no.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Man, the space program has only been around for like 30 years. Progress happens exponentially. Hence my reference to computer technology. We will get there, it's just a matter of time. We jumped from 1 to 3 GHz in like a year. That is a HUGE accomplishment.

We are already doing experiments on earth and in space to make future "expansion" possible. We know that eventually we will out grow the earth, and if not taken care of, we will be killing each other to survive. This being "survival of the fittest". We will populate other planets or space stations. And it will be within 50 years, I think.

And to claim something can't happen because it hasn't happened before is very short sighted. Think of all the things we WOULDN'T have if Einstein, or Franklin, or Edison, or Arthur C Clarke, thought like that....

OP
A

AstralZenith

Originally posted by Emrys@Mar 20 2003, 03:18 PM
And to claim something can't happen because it hasn't happened before is very short sighted. Think of all the things we WOULDN'T have if Einstein, or Franklin, or Edison, or Arthur C Clarke, thought like that....
:huh: its totally different, im talking about first time failure

i remeber saying
so there is another 50 years of trial and error after how ever many years it takes to get the resources ready

this isnt like inventing a concept or new device. its like cloning humans... error first

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.