intel imac problems

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had my intel imac for about 2 months now. When I bought it I maxed out the ram and it's been pretty trouble free until now. Now it won't sleep. I'll try to sleep it and it sometimes nothing happens, and sometimes it just hangs there with that little spinning wheel going where the cursor is. The other problem is that when I leave it and the monitor sleeps, it doesn't prompt me for my password when getting back like it used to. Any ideas on what's going on here? I'm worried.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
Paul,
sounds like something is hanging your processes up.

Try this, its quick and easy.

get the imac recovery dvd (or cd, whatever) and put it into your imac. Now power down completely. Wait about 30 seconds. Then power up while holding the C key on the keyboard. (that boots you to the dvd drive).

It will start the installer on the DVD, which is fine. You want that. Now, once its loaded up, to up to the menu bar on the top and go to TOOLS, and in that drop down list is DISK UTILITES.

Click that and it will open disk utilites. Now, on the left, select your hard drive, then click on the REPAIR PERMISSIONS button. It'll work for a few mintues. Once its done, do it again. Once THATS done... then go ahead, quit disk utilites, quit the installer and restart the Mac. That should solve the problem.

If it doesnt then you're looking at going into the system and maybe removing some plist files or something along that line.

Let me know if it doesnt work. Theres something else you can try to fix it, but its long and I dont wanna type that much on a Sunday. (oops..too late)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
While you are in Disk Utilities you might as well Verify the Disk to make sure theres nothing wrong with the File System itself

Reaction score
trpnmonkey41 said:
While you are in Disk Utilities you might as well Verify the Disk to make sure theres nothing wrong with the File System itself

Right. I called Apple yesterday because I kept getting a Kernel Error :( and they asked me to repair my disk AND repair permissions. The permissions fixed numerous probelms and so far I have yet to have any problems.

OP
P
Reaction score
bishopazrael said:
Paul,
sounds like something is hanging your processes up.

Try this, its quick and easy.

get the imac recovery dvd (or cd, whatever) and put it into your imac. Now power down completely. Wait about 30 seconds. Then power up while holding the C key on the keyboard. (that boots you to the dvd drive).

It will start the installer on the DVD, which is fine. You want that. Now, once its loaded up, to up to the menu bar on the top and go to TOOLS, and in that drop down list is DISK UTILITES.

Click that and it will open disk utilites. Now, on the left, select your hard drive, then click on the REPAIR PERMISSIONS button. It'll work for a few mintues. Once its done, do it again. Once THATS done... then go ahead, quit disk utilites, quit the installer and restart the Mac. That should solve the problem.

If it doesnt then you're looking at going into the system and maybe removing some plist files or something along that line.

Let me know if it doesnt work. Theres something else you can try to fix it, but its long and I dont wanna type that much on a Sunday. (oops..too late)

Thanks for the clear instructions. I did that and am still having the same problem. The problem actualy started after I left the computer unplugged for about a week and a half (left town). Anyhow, I also did a hardware test and thank goodness everything checks out there. So it is a software issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
Ok,
quick thing here. Create yourself a new user account in the system prefs panel. Make sure its an admin account. Call it test, or temp, or whatever, its only a test account. Now log into that new account. Let it build it, go and browse the web for a minute. Then try and put it to sleep.

What happens?

OP
P
Reaction score
bishopazrael said:
Ok,
quick thing here. Create yourself a new user account in the system prefs panel. Make sure its an admin account. Call it test, or temp, or whatever, its only a test account. Now log into that new account. Let it build it, go and browse the web for a minute. Then try and put it to sleep.

What happens?

I tried it and it still won't sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok,
next step is multiple choice so it sup to you.

1. Call Apple and get some help...
2. Format and reload.

Jem

Reaction score
Can devices plugged into the USB ports cause this problem as well?

I know I can't get my Intel iMac to sleep with my Canon S300 printer attached - well, it goes into sleep but immediately wakes up again. I've tried the latest Canon drivers and now just have to unplug the printer... there must be a better way.

Just wondering if the 2 issues could both be USB device related despite them manifesting differently?

OP
P
Reaction score
bishopazrael said:
Ok,
next step is multiple choice so it sup to you.

1. Call Apple and get some help...
2. Format and reload.

I'm going with option #2. OK, is there an easy way to save all my settings and stuff. For example, I have all my email coming into the mail program. How would I save all my mail. Where would I find those files and how would I restore them. Also, how would I save my bookmarks and settings within Firefox? That is also something I don't want to lose.

G

Guardian

Jem I have the same problem as you do, except I have a HP 6P printer. With the printer plugged in my Mac goes to sleep but wakes immediately. If I unplug the printer the Mac sleeps like a baby.

Anyone have any ideas???

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.