What to do next?

J

jbrooks9

I bought a 12" G4 powerbook from a friend who bought the new macbook pro. It still has his user account set up. I set up my own user account with admin permissions. This is probably a stupid question but if I delete his account will I loose any software? I want to have everything set up as if it were a new laptop so everything set up based upon my preferences as if I were the only owner. I guess I could reformat and install all the software again but I would rather not do that.

Thanks

Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 1GB RAM
jbrooks9 said:
I bought a 12" G4 powerbook from a friend who bought the new macbook pro. It still has his user account set up. I set up my own user account with admin permissions. This is probably a stupid question but if I delete his account will I loose any software? I want to have everything set up as if it were a new laptop so everything set up based upon my preferences as if I were the only owner. I guess I could reformat and install all the software again but I would rather not do that.

Thanks

Jason

Couldn't you just change the his name on his account to yours and then just use that one instead of creating a 2nd account? Keep in mind my total Mac experience is 4 days as I am a recent switcher too.

Reaction score
jbrooks9 said:
I guess I could reformat and install all the software again but I would rather not do that.

I would do that, but if you don't want to you can just go to system preferences > Account > Click the "+" > Enter your new account info, make sure you select the checkbox for Administrator. Log out of the old account, then log in the new account, delete the old one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.