Parallels in the workplace

Reaction score
I didn't see anything on their website and found nothing searching through here but....

Does any one know if Paralles will allow someome to authenticate in a domain/enterprise environment so that I can use applications and network drives in an office envionment?

I'm sure I can see and connect, but I need to allow login scrips to run on the windows side, etc...

any experince & info in this area would be tres bien!

jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
Jason,
it IS windows. You just boot Windows and you're IN windows. So yes, it will do whatever you want. Just think of it like this... the hardware you're on is the exact same as IBM or Toshiba. Thats why it runs windows. Its just DUAL BOOTING. :)

Good luck.

OP
P
Reaction score
Awesome...

what about right-click in windows? know if the 2-finger rightclick on the touchpad work the same in the Windows environment? I assume so, since its running via OS X, but want to make sure. If it does work this way, then I may install it tonight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
control+click should work as a right click.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
BlindingLights said:
control+click should work as a right click.

In my experience that doesn't work in a windows environment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
USB keyboard or mouse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1st gen MacBook Pro - 15", 2.16GHz, 1G RAM, 100G HD
psycht said:
Awesome...

what about right-click in windows? know if the 2-finger rightclick on the touchpad work the same in the Windows environment? I assume so, since its running via OS X, but want to make sure. If it does work this way, then I may install it tonight.
Through Parallels, yes, two finger right-click does work in Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
bishopazrael said:
Jason,
it IS windows. You just boot Windows and you're IN windows. So yes, it will do whatever you want. Just think of it like this... the hardware you're on is the exact same as IBM or Toshiba. Thats why it runs windows. Its just DUAL BOOTING. :)

Good luck.
You're mixing up parallels with boot camp here.

Parallels lets you run Windows XP at the same time as OS X. (Hence the name, parallels).
Most things work fine with parallels, but there are some issue with 3rd party hardware that need sorting out. (Certain USB devices don't work etc.)

But most networking functions seem to work fine, but may require additional configuration.
And yes, both ctrl-click and 2-fingered trackpad-clicks work in parallels.

But should parallels not work correctly, installing windows with boot camp would definitely work as a last resort.

Reaction score
it should work exactly like it would in xp, right?

virtual pc was so slow because it had to fake an entire computer, but with the intel chips, its just a matter of software.

i think. i'm a n00b, so don't take me too seriously.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so my explanation wasnt understood. I KNOW the difference between dual booting and booting software. I was trying to make it simple for the OP to understand. Basically, on a BASIC level, Parralells is like Virtual PC. Its software that runs inside this OS (mac os x) that emulates a whole other computer (for those of us that know the details I know this is *TECHNICALLY* incorrect but he wants to understand it). So yes, it is in a sense emulation software, but it gives you direct access to the hardware.

Basically what it comes down to is that you run parralells if you just want to boot quickly into windows while still having os x. As I stated before, there are issues with the USB system in parralells. If you want to , you can use boot camp to get to xp with no USB issues. If, for the OP, you want to do software authentication and all that, the short answer is YES, it will work, because it IS windows.

I hope that its clear for everyone what I was trying to say. Please, when someone new comes in, and asks a question, understand that I try and give the easiest answer possible. At times I'll draw an analogy, and yes they will not always be 100% correct in technical details, but why load a newbie with that when all they want is an easy yes or no.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
bishopazrael said:
Ok so my explanation wasnt understood. I KNOW the difference between dual booting and booting software. I was trying to make it simple for the OP to understand. Basically, on a BASIC level, Parralells is like Virtual PC. Its software that runs inside this OS (mac os x) that emulates a whole other computer (for those of us that know the details I know this is *TECHNICALLY* incorrect but he wants to understand it). So yes, it is in a sense emulation software, but it gives you direct access to the hardware.

Basically what it comes down to is that you run parralells if you just want to boot quickly into windows while still having os x. As I stated before, there are issues with the USB system in parralells. If you want to , you can use boot camp to get to xp with no USB issues. If, for the OP, you want to do software authentication and all that, the short answer is YES, it will work, because it IS windows.

I hope that its clear for everyone what I was trying to say. Please, when someone new comes in, and asks a question, understand that I try and give the easiest answer possible. At times I'll draw an analogy, and yes they will not always be 100% correct in technical details, but why load a newbie with that when all they want is an easy yes or no.
I agree with you up to a certain degree, but seeing as there is already enough confusion regarding intel macs, boot camp, parallels and Windows XP, I don't think that muddling the concepts up is making it easier.

If you tell someone that running parallels is the same as dual booting and someone else tells him that to run 3D Studio Max he'll need to dual boot, that person might be confused when 3D Studio Max performance sucks under parallels.

I sell macs to absolute mac newbies on a daily basis. It's important to use the correct terminology, otherwise you'll find yourself having to re-explain everything further down the line.

I agree that simplification is also often necessary, but then don't use technical terms ambiguously.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
I agree with you up to a certain degree, but seeing as there is already enough confusion regarding intel macs, boot camp, parallels and Windows XP, I don't think that muddling the concepts up is making it easier.

If you tell someone that running parallels is the same as dual booting and someone else tells him that to run 3D Studio Max he'll need to dual boot, that person might be confused when 3D Studio Max performance sucks under parallels.

I sell macs to absolute mac newbies on a daily basis. It's important to use the correct terminology, otherwise you'll find yourself having to re-explain everything further down the line.

I agree that simplification is also often necessary, but then don't use technical terms ambiguously.

I think it'd help if we had a sticky thread with tutorials on just what is what, what they're good for and such. I PM'd Schweb about this but havent heard back.

I think I'm on his LIST.

Well in any case I'm going to be doing alot of this on my blog. I'll have pages that we can point people to with questions about boot camp vs. parallels.

I debated this long and hard, what with me being in business, giving this info out is costing me money in a sense. Then again, probably not a whole lot of people in ABQ reading this, so i finally figured what the ****.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think, for me personally its harder to explain stuff here typing it out. I'm used to being face to face with my customers.

Somone actually left me bad feedback.. "I'm glad you're not my PC tech". Not sure why, turns out I was right in that thread he was mad about.

Anyways, we all know we're just here to help.

Reaction score
To get back to the original question, I am currently using Parallels to run Windows XP on my new Intel iMAC. I am able to VPN to my work and access everything on the domain from the Windows XP Parallels window.
The best part, is that I can continue to use my iMac for anything else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.