Connecting to the net...

MJC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15.4", 2Ghz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD
Hey,

(excuse me, i know very little -read 'nothing really'- about internet connections :dummy: )
so i posted a couple days ago that i got my new MBP :black: and im rather pleased with it!

basically what im wondering is how i should -or can- connect to the internet using my cable broadband account on my windows PC?

I thought i might be able to connect the MBP via Ethernet cable to my broadband modem and then set up an account on the MBP. However, that didnt work, as i had to disconnect to PC because there is only one ethernet port on the modem, hhmmmm...

So, now im wondering if i can maybe connect the MBP to the PC via the ethernet port on the back of the PC? there is one spare port here, other than the one the Broadband modem is connected to. Or, maybe not? i dont really want to just do it, incase the mac settings are changed by linking the PC to it..?? (if this sound stupid, im sorry...im just used to windows based PC's).

If anybody can help me - or at least point me in the right direction, i would very much appreciate this!!

Thanks in advance,

MJC

B

b.hicks

Hi MJC.

The easiest solution to your internet problem is to get router. Basically a router splits a single internet connetion between multiple computers. A wireless router costs less than $100, much less if you check around, and will allow you to connect both computers to the internet at the same time and your MBP to the internet without wires.

As a side note, I don't know why your MBP didn't connect to the internet when you pluggend your cabel modem into the LAN on you MBP. It will normally connect automatically. Give it a try again and if it still won't work i'm sure someone on the forum who knows more about internet connection will be able to help.

Thanx.

Brian.

OP
MJC

MJC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks b.hicks!

I think maybe it didnt work because i was un-able to keep my PC connected to the modem at the same time as the MBP. On the Mac internet setup assistant it said that i must have the PC connected to the modem at the same time...hmmm, but my modem only has one port for an ethernet cable at the back, so i cant do this!

I just wondered anyway, because i would like to see what my new Mac is like online! even though i will be using internet and wireless internet in University next month.

But if anybody can help me, i would be over the moon!

thanks

MJC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
The mac should work find when connected directly to the modem. If it doesn't then you probably need some setting specific to your ISP to connect. Those settings shouldn't be hard to find from their website, or if you say who you have internet with and what kind of modem you have, someone here who has the same should be able to give you more specific help.

OP
MJC

MJC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks 'avcabob'!

I am using Telewest Blueyonder internet, here in the UK.

I was also wondering, if i set up a connection with my providers settings here, will i have trouble when connecting wirelessly through the University's wireless internet, or through the internet in my dorms? i'm hoping not. but then again, i am used to Pc's!!

Thanks,

MJC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The best thing to do is under system preferences->network at the top you'll see Location. In the drop down select new and call it something like home. Now any setting you change will only apply when your location is set to home. When you get to school, switch it to automatic and you should be good. Or if your school has special setting as well, you can create a location for school as well.

And you can switch locations from the apple menu in the upper left corner of the screen. It's very convenient when you take you laptop to many places.

Also, I would suggest never entering specific setting into the automatic location. By default, the automatic location literally is automatic when DHCP set to all interfaces. If you setup anything permanent in there, it isn't so automatic anymore.

OP
MJC

MJC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, thanks to those who have replied so far! When plugging my MBP directly into the modem, it says i require a DHCP ID. I have had a look around at documents from my ISP and on their website and cannot fnd this information anywhere. It's 12:15am here, and i have work tomorrow so im hitting the hay, but i think i will ring my ISP tomorrow and ask them if they can help.

Once again, thanks a lot!

MJC

OP
MJC

MJC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, anybody got any more advice on the best way to go about connecting, and whay exactly a DHCP ID is, and where i can find this????? (questions, questions, questions eh?)

i tried to ring my ISP and could not get through...

thanks

MJC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I'm not sure what a DHCP ID is, but there is a DHCP Client ID. I found this definition of it:
What is termed the Client ID for the purposes of the DHCP protocol is whatever is used by the protocol to identify the client computer. By default, DHCP implementations typically employ the client's MAC address for this purpose, but the DHCP protocol allows other options. Some DHCP implementations have a setup option to specify the client ID you want. One alternative to the MAC address is simply a character string of your choice. In any case, in order for DHCP to function, you must be certain that no other client is using the client ID you choose, and you must be sure the DHCP server will accept it.
It sounds like you should be able to just make one up or make sure any computer on your network has a different one. But again, this is my first time hearing about DHCP ID.

Where exactly is it asking for the ID? Is it part of the settings on the mac, or is it when you try to go to a web-page something pops up?

OP
MJC

MJC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's part of setting up the connection on the Mac. I have entered many codes from my connection settings on the PC, that seem to link to DHCP, and it will not let me connect. Therefore im wondering if i can actually connect with the mac through this modem at all??

hmmm

Thanks 'avcabob' for all your help and interest!

MJC

Reaction score
MJC said:
Hey,

(excuse me, i know very little -read 'nothing really'- about internet connections :dummy: )
so i posted a couple days ago that i got my new MBP :black: and im rather pleased with it!

basically what im wondering is how i should -or can- connect to the internet using my cable broadband account on my windows PC?

I thought i might be able to connect the MBP via Ethernet cable to my broadband modem and then set up an account on the MBP. However, that didnt work, as i had to disconnect to PC because there is only one ethernet port on the modem, hhmmmm...

So, now im wondering if i can maybe connect the MBP to the PC via the ethernet port on the back of the PC? there is one spare port here, other than the one the Broadband modem is connected to. Or, maybe not? i dont really want to just do it, incase the mac settings are changed by linking the PC to it..?? (if this sound stupid, im sorry...im just used to windows based PC's).

If anybody can help me - or at least point me in the right direction, i would very much appreciate this!!

Thanks in advance,

MJC

you can make your life a LOT easier for like fifty bucks. check the flyers, CC, best buy, frys, microcenter, whatever. you can get a wireless G for like fifty bucks.
install it, plug it into your cable modem and hard wire your PC and your Mac will just grab on automatically.

OP
MJC

MJC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks 'kevin_msu'!

msb5100.jpg

sb5100_back.gif

^^That is the modem i am using, we got this free with our ISP connection, etc.

As you can see there is one port on the back for Ethernet, and another for 'another' type of connection, haha..i dont know what type of connection this is. The Ethernet port on the modem is currently being used by my family computer, so will i still be able to connect and leave the family PC connected?

thanks, and sorry if i sound stupid.

MJC

Reaction score
1 is the ethernet port.

2 is a usb port. thats an alternate connection to your PC. they rarely work well for some reason, at least on all the cable modems i've had (i've had at least like 5 over the years)

3 is the cable.

a wireless router will go between you modem and the PC.
its easy to install, just plug it in and follow the instructions that come with it.

that router will have 4 of the number 1 slot on it for connectable stuff, including other computers and even printer servers. its job is to share a high speed internet connection... and you'll be able to share files between computers on the network.
33-127-028-04.JPG

this particular router is on sale for DIRT CHEAP too... 35 bucks after rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127028

OP
MJC

MJC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOW, thanks a lot 'kevin_msu', i'll look into getting one of those. I'm in the UK tho so i'll have to look elsewhere, but at least i know now!

I'm hoping to get hooked up soon.

Thanks

MJC

Reaction score
Sorry to join the bandwagon, but I have a quick q rather than starting a new thread.

I already have a wirless router set up with the home PC and use my HP laptop of it, but it took a while to configure my HP laptop and I had to end up getting one of the network guys at work to look at it. Will my Ibook (when it arrives) just kind'a be plug and play then or will I have to mess about with settings again?

MJC im in the UK as well (with Telewest) and I found the cheapest router on Ebay, netgear, brand new about £40 I think iirc and it really is so much easier - easy to set up - the only problem I had was my laptop but thats cause it was an arsey one!

OP
MJC

MJC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey 'vodjagirl001',

I know i been lookin at wireless routers round here and stuff. I decided i should probably go for a Belkin, as every1 seems to swear by them.

From what i've read, your Ibook should pick up the router straight away and should be fine! Bonus? i think so...

Thanks

MJC

A

Annie

I have a Belkin and bought it about a week ago - My connection has not gone down one time in the past week - It is also very easy to set up. I highly recommend it.

Annie

Reaction score
MJC said:
Hey 'vodjagirl001',

I know i been lookin at wireless routers round here and stuff. I decided i should probably go for a Belkin, as every1 seems to swear by them.

From what i've read, your Ibook should pick up the router straight away and should be fine! Bonus? i think so...

Thanks

MJC

Just the answer I was looking for mate, cheers!! Oh im all excited now!

Ive had my Netgear for a year and a bit and the only time it stoped working was when we had a storm with lightening and it nocked out the power at our house, it blew the transformer, I was woried it may have damaged the router as well, but £2.99 for a new transformer and it was working fine so I was relieved!!

Good luck with your net set up mate

Reaction score
Well just to let you know, I got my mac turned it on and it hooked up to my Wirless network straight away once I had entered the security details!

Piece of as they say wooo hoooo

OP
MJC

MJC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spot on! I'm gunna have to see about getting one when i get some spare money

MJC

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.