Mac Pro = Any Benchmarks yet? Faster than QUAD G5?

C

composer

Was reading in another forum that he read a G5 quad was still faster than the newer Mac Pro...

Wondering if there are any benchmarks out there yet, if so, link(s) please.

In addition, I am wondering if the so called slower that he refers to is due to the GPU which leads me to the following:

Can we buy a Mac Pro, then add our own GPU, our own ECC memory?

Thanks!
:headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
There is a thread over at MacRumors forums about this. One guy has a 2.66Ghz Mac Pro. Let me see if I can find the link..

EDIT Here is the link to the thread. There are some bench marks in there, but no direct comparisons to a Quad G5 yet....

The only direct comparison, and second hand at that, that I have seen so far is HERE. Yes, that is me and yes that quote is from the above linked thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 2.66Ghz was faster than the Quad, but not what I would call significantly. The 3Ghz is the one I really want to see...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice comparison between the 2. Not that big of an overall speed bump as I would have though....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
After all the G5 is a great machine. I believe the most impressive of the MacPro specs is the price (this is not a joke).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
mraya said:

according to that link the mac pro is overal 7% faster then the powermac quad. Which is not impressive. It does not make me want to get rid of my powermac any time soon for the mac pro.
If you look at it closely some of the tests the mac pro really beats the powermac quad, but there are alot of other tests where the mac pro is only 80% the speed of the powermac quad (with vectors).

I do not see the mac pro as the amazing machine that everybody thinks it is. I am going to stick with my G5 quad for a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The MacPro is an amazing machine, but so are the PM G5's. Everything I have read is that people who have waited for the Intel PM's will be very pleased, but for those with G5's there is no reason at all to upgrade

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Quad G5 is still a great machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Yeah the only thing the mac pro has that I wish I had in my quad is the 2TB limit from factory. I know I can upgrdae the hd in the quad, and I am thinking I am going to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
...and bear in mind folks that on the benchmarks that REALLY matter, such as how much work you can get out of your main apps, the PowerMac G5 continues to dominate because the new Mac Pro is, in the end, an Intel machine. SO, Photoshop, Microsoft Office and many others have to be emulated. I would love to see a side by side comparison of the two machines doing equivalent tasks in Photoshop. I suspect that the PowerMac would be way ahead.

In general, if you have a PowerMac G5, my view is that you should plan to wait out this generation of Mac Pro before upgrading. When they come out with a 4.0+ GHz CPU and important apps like Photoshop and Office are out in Universal, THAT is the time to upgrade.

Until, rest content that you are driving the fastest application engine available, the PowerMac G5.

Of course, I have one, and I am biased!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
mac57 said:
...and bear in mind folks that on the benchmarks that REALLY matter, such as how much work you can get out of your main apps, the PowerMac G5 continues to dominate because the new Mac Pro is, in the end, an Intel machine. SO, Photoshop, Microsoft Office and many others have to be emulated. I would love to see a side by side comparison of the two machines doing equivalent tasks in Photoshop. I suspect that the PowerMac would be way ahead.

Did you check the ARS benchmarks I posted a URL to above? They do that very thing and yes the G5 Quad wins on Non Universal Apps which is should do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Thanks dtravis7, no I had not. After reading a few of them, I assumed they were all working off the same data. Good to see the results, but I am surprised how close they were in some cases. By and large the PowerMac G5 wins out, but not by the margin I expected.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.