A note to all new switchers/potential switchers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
After going through the torturous wait from ordering my Macbook and having it shipped to me, I was astonished witht the production quality of the machine i had purchased. However, this would not last long...the influence of these message boards and all of the problems I had read with the Macbooks had tainted me. I wish I had not heard any of it at all, becuase it lead me to creating so many points of anguish.

"Is my battery as strong as it should be?" So i natrually downloaded CoconutBattery 2.5 Beta or whatever. This was my first primary mistake. This thing is in no way reliable and only causes a new Macbook owner dispair. I calibrated my battery to the T as per directions in the owners manual and the morning after said calibration my battery was at 95%. Within 2 days however my battery capacity was back up to 99% and then 101%. This is just a bogus self diagnostic tool with errors which cause you to panic and fret that your machine is not perfect.

"My macbook is hot" Under normal circumstances I would never have thought my macbook overly hot, but because I had read that temperature was an issue, I subconciously made it an issue. I agree it is important to be aware of a possible defect in your machine but lets not go overboard. If you are using your computer on your lap and it becomes too hot, think of a few things. Try to turn off Airport and Bluetooth when not using it. Turn the screen brightness down. Stop running unneccessary apps. Place a hard surface between your lap and the macbook to allow for proper ventilation. There are a few steps you can take before you need to fret that your machine will burn itsself down.

"Do I have enough Ram?" If 512 works for you then that is enough ram. If 2 GB works for you then that is enough Ram. Regardless of how much ram you have opening an application will not be INSTANTANEOUS. Do not worry if people say that you will not be able to run Leopard without 1 GB of ram. Wait for leopard, if the machine feels slow, upgrade at that point.

Hopefully new switchers will realize that many of the problems they find with their machine are simply things they have heard from message boards or rumors and exagerated in their heads. Chances are your machine works just fine, and is nothing out of the ordinary. So please, just be careful with self diagnostic type programs and mind sets...because they can be dangerous things.

That being said: Enjoy your Apple products, they certainly are great :headphone

OP
NikBhat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Eek...uhh 35 views and 0 replies. I guess a mod can close this thread...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
Honestly people blow things way out of purportion. When things get posted on online message boards thousands of people read about them and then supposedly every MacBook is having the same problem. If the problem was sooooo common then all MacBooks would have been recalled. I actually read recently that the number of problematic machines was actually like .89%.

Also I wouldnt put any laptop on my lap nowadays. I like having plenty of sperm for special occasions. ;]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I read it and left you posative rep. I didn't see a need to respond....

I notice your one pip is now green......

OP
NikBhat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well i am glad you guys agree!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
NikBhat said:
After going through the torturous wait from ordering my Macbook and having it shipped to me, I was astonished witht the production quality of the machine i had purchased. However, this would not last long...the influence of these message boards and all of the problems I had read with the Macbooks had tainted me. I wish I had not heard any of it at all, becuase it lead me to creating so many points of anguish.

"Is my battery as strong as it should be?" So i natrually downloaded CoconutBattery 2.5 Beta or whatever. This was my first primary mistake. This thing is in no way reliable and only causes a new Macbook owner dispair. I calibrated my battery to the T as per directions in the owners manual and the morning after said calibration my battery was at 95%. Within 2 days however my battery capacity was back up to 99% and then 101%. This is just a bogus self diagnostic tool with errors which cause you to panic and fret that your machine is not perfect.

"My macbook is hot" Under normal circumstances I would never have thought my macbook overly hot, but because I had read that temperature was an issue, I subconciously made it an issue. I agree it is important to be aware of a possible defect in your machine but lets not go overboard. If you are using your computer on your lap and it becomes too hot, think of a few things. Try to turn off Airport and Bluetooth when not using it. Turn the screen brightness down. Stop running unneccessary apps. Place a hard surface between your lap and the macbook to allow for proper ventilation. There are a few steps you can take before you need to fret that your machine will burn itsself down.

"Do I have enough Ram?" If 512 works for you then that is enough ram. If 2 GB works for you then that is enough Ram. Regardless of how much ram you have opening an application will not be INSTANTANEOUS. Do not worry if people say that you will not be able to run Leopard without 1 GB of ram. Wait for leopard, if the machine feels slow, upgrade at that point.

Hopefully new switchers will realize that many of the problems they find with their machine are simply things they have heard from message boards or rumors and exagerated in their heads. Chances are your machine works just fine, and is nothing out of the ordinary. So please, just be careful with self diagnostic type programs and mind sets...because they can be dangerous things.

That being said: Enjoy your Apple products, they certainly are great :headphone

Wow, I respect your opinion. That's a pretty powerful post, I'll say.

I'm not going to tell you about how Apple is so much better than the land of Microsoft, because it's not all true, and I'd be a fanboy, which I am not. It's a shame to hear, though, that you are having problems with your macbook. Did you try taking it to an apple store or sending it in to apple to have them take a look at it?

But definately a positive rep for you because you spoke your opinion, and did it in a manner that did not trash anyone else, Apple, or this forum.

OP
NikBhat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlindingLights said:
Wow, I respect your opinion. That's a pretty powerful post, I'll say.

I'm not going to tell you about how Apple is so much better than the land of Microsoft, because it's not all true, and I'd be a fanboy, which I am not. It's a shame to hear, though, that you are having problems with your macbook. Did you try taking it to an apple store or sending it in to apple to have them take a look at it?

But definately a positive rep for you because you spoke your opinion, and did it in a manner that did not trash anyone else, Apple, or this forum.

Actually my Macbook has run perfectly (knock on wood...). I went through the battery scare and temperature scare but after extracting myself from these message boards for a few days i realized that I was totally overreacting. Chances are many other people have done the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Well, macbooks do tend to run hot, I read somewhere about a test, and it was on average about 10 degrees hotter than a dell lattitude with the same specs, and both were running a movie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i dont know what to say so i am posting anyway!
-chris

OP
NikBhat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
coach_z said:
i dont know what to say so i am posting anyway!
-chris

I think most people feel the same way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
NikBhat said:
I think most people feel the same way?

it has been a long day, it is a very informative post though, i left you user rep for it as well
-chris

Reaction score
I think some just have this notion that their Mac will be the "perfect" computer and are shocked when it may freeze a bit, may get hot, or may not run the perfect way they thought it would

I thought that 2 months ago to be honest. I knew nothing about Macs but had read the hype about them.

I love mine honestly BUT I do have some complaints BUT I think my complaints are small compared to my Windows laptop

OP
NikBhat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacWill said:
I think some just have this notion that their Mac will be the "perfect" computer and are shocked when it may freeze a bit, may get hot, or may not run the perfect way they thought it would

I thought that 2 months ago to be honest. I knew nothing about Macs but had read the hype about them.

I love mine honestly BUT I do have some complaints BUT I think my complaints are small compared to my Windows laptop

Exactly. No machine is perfect. If you expect this you will be sorely let down, no matter who makes the product. That is exactly what my post is trying to convey.

K

Katie

exactly! no machines are perfect, but we like to think and do whatever we can to make them as close as possible to it. I appreciated your post and enjoyed it! from reading all of the "downsides" and "negative" threads about the MBPs and MacBooks, I've just taken very good notes as to what I need to do in the future to avoid certain problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.