• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

My home video file is 6.3 gb can I compress it with some free software or I have to..

B

boguiboy

edit it and reduce it to fit in a regular DVD 'cause a have another one with 9 Gb,? and one more question , can I make my DVD simply using iDVD or a need to do something else ? .I use a sony handycam DCR-HC30 and I guess using iDVD convert inmediatly my home video in a regular DVD becasuse it have that option. Thanks for your info in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Once you import and burn with iDVD, iDVD will compress the 7 gigs to fit onto a normal 4.7Gb DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Yeah I usually end up with 6gig movie files, but about most of the time, iDVD compresses it to around 1gig-ish on a DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
What kind of quality do you retain if its compressed in that way? Does it look good on a TV still? What if the movie file is 16gigs, will iDVD still compress that as well? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
DVDs use mpeg2 compression, your camera and iMovie work in DV. iDVD can convert DV to mpeg2 without loosing quality at 4 to 1 ratio, meaning your 12 gig DV (standard 1 hour) will be compressed to 4 gigs and have the same quality (the remaining space on DVD will be used for menus and etc.). if you try to more than 1 hour video on standard 4.7 gig DVD disc, you'll sacrifice the quality.

the bottom-line is, forget about how many gigs your movie file is, its the duration, that counts.
1 hour movie – good quality DVD
2 hours movie – Bad quality DVD (unless you use 8.5 gig DL DVD+R)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Well the movie I am reffering to is one I made in iMovie, at it is approx 81 minutes long. So its somewhere in the middle. But, iDVD will infact compress it to the proper size? But because of the size, I wil lose quality. My iBook does not have a DVD burner, and I am planning on buying a new portable in the coming months. The MacBook and the 15.4 MBP do not have dual layer drives.

Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
when you make new project in iDVD it will display project info (see attached pic). there you can specify DVD type, compression and start dragging your movies to DVD menu. you'll see when disc gets full.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    77.3 KB · Views: 14

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.