Apprehensive about buying Macbook

J

jennifer24

I am currently a windows (dell) user, I hate my dell desktop and have been looking into getting a Mac, partly because I get a student discount. I have been researching them for the past few weeks and came across lots of people having problems with random shutdowns on their Mac's, and this happening even when they sent them off to Apple and were supposedly fixed. Does this occur a lot? I love everything I have read/seen about the macbook except for this problem, which makes me nervous about buying one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD
Mine is in repair because of that very problem.
Somehow left a bitter taste in my mouth (especially since the problem occured only 5 days after I got my macbook).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
No need to worry... on the internet you only ever see the few bad cases of products that are malfunctioning. Many users here have macbooks (me & my g/f both have one) and have never had issues with them.

No product is perfect, no computer 100% reliable, but you shouldn't expect yours to be one of the few "bad apples".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
I agree with Apt. My wife has a Macbook that we bought a couple months ago. She has had no issues with it (other than our 11 month old trying to bang his toys on it). If you do get one i would suggest that you get at least 1GB of RAM. this will help tremendously. Especially if you will be using software that isn't universal yet. I upped my wifes to 2GB and she noticed a huge difference. Don't let some of the issues people are having talk you out of getting a Macbook. The majority of users have perfectly working computers. They are awesome computers. Unfortunately some people, like BlueBacchus, have the shutdown problem. Both of ours are working great and I even bought a refurbed iMac from the Apple Store and saved me a couple hundred bucks.

Apt,
Bad Apples, LOL, good one ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
Aptmunich said:
No need to worry... on the internet you only ever see the few bad cases of products that are malfunctioning. Many users here have macbooks (me & my g/f both have one) and have never had issues with them.

No product is perfect, no computer 100% reliable, but you shouldn't expect yours to be one of the few "bad apples".

also people only post what goes wrong with their stuff on the internet, how many "OMG my 'book works so well threads have you ran across"?

i believe they have sorted out a lot of the issues that the macbooks/MBP have had
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about buying a new MacBook... mines working fine (I personally never get to use it ha, but it works great).

And to answer your not-yet-asked-but-will future question, new macbooks wont be released until atleast january.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
BlueBacchus and I recieved our 'books at the same time and in a weird twist of fate his machine has let him down. Mine on the other hand has not had any such problems. (Knock on wood...)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.