File Sharing between users

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 1GB RAM
Let the questions begin:

I did a forum search and did not come up with exactly what I was looking for so here goes.

I set up user accounts for my wife and I so we can have different desktops. The problem is that she cannot see the photos in iPhoto or the music in iTunes. I uploaded all those files under my user name but she can't see them under her user name.

I opened the Get Info screen on the iPhotos library file and tries to switch permissions but not of the combinations I tried work. What am I missing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
ahh... wow.. good question. There are many approaches to this set of problems. I dont know about the iphoto ***i do know that there is a toggle somewhere, I think in the iphoto prefs to share the library***, but the iTunes I can answer. The music needs to be stored somewhere NOT in a user folder. Or you can go to the prefs for itunes and share out your library as well. Only hitch to that I think is that only one person is the "librarian". Meaning you add and maintain the library. itunes is kind of fickle about that kind of thing. Myself personally, I have my itunes folder on an external firewire drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Yes - make sure both the "host" user is logged in as well, so she can use your music and photos. Make sure iTunes sharing is enabled on iTunes in both accounts :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 1GB RAM
deus_ex_machina said:
Yes - make sure both the "host" user is logged in as well, so she can use your music and photos. Make sure iTunes sharing is enabled on iTunes in both accounts :)

I tried that (I think) with no success. When I put the iTunes library in a folder on the HD, I could see it with the other account, but iTunes wouldn't automatically load it. I had manually transfer the files into iTunes on the 2nd account.

I am having even more trouble with the photos. I enabled file sharing on both sides, but have had no success. The library in the 2nd account sees the folders, but not the files. What am I missing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
you may check permissions on the second account, say give the account more privileges to access folders. I'd check to see how restrictive it is. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Couldn't you just put the iPhoto library in the /Users/Shared/ folder? Never tried it, but isn't that what it's for?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 1GB RAM
deus_ex_machina said:
you may check permissions on the second account, say give the account more privileges to access folders. I'd check to see how restrictive it is. :)

And for the answers, courtesy of Apple's Tech Support:

First, I had to change the 2nd account from a standard user to admin.

As far as iTunes is concerned it was as simple as moving the iTunes folder to the Shared user folder. Next, go into iTunes Preferences, Advanced, click Change for the folder location, and select the Shared folder. Do this for both user accounts.

Now iPhotos was a little more complicated. Moving the iPhoto library to shared did not work. You have to do that for both users (I'm still not sure why). Then you have to give full access permissions on the account where the library and photos were originally created (use Finder and Get Info on the iPhoto Library icon). Once that is done both users can use the same iPhoto library. iPhoto does not have a Change folder location option for its library. So you have to manually move the folders around.

One other note. For setting up iPhoto, make sure Fast User Switiching is off. If not, the changes will not hold.

HTH

Reaction score
While logged on through your account, go to your pictures directory, go to info for the iPhoto Library directory, then under 'ownership and permissions', unlock it, then select your wife's account from the Group menu, then select Read and Write under access.

Next you will need to set it up so that iPhoto on your Wife's account looks to your iPhoto library, log into that account, then open a terminal and type:

defaults write com.apple.iPhoto RootDirectory RootDirectory /Users/yourusername/Pictures/iPhoto Library/

Don't copy paste, you'll need to change 'yourusername' to your actual user name.

edit: It looks like you kind of have things figured out, but I like my solution for iPhoto better.

edit2: fixed typo, also I thought of something, it might be easier to put your 'iPhoto Library' in the shared directory, then just point both accounts to that directory for iPhoto

Reaction score
Changing User folder locations

Hi, Im a new user in this great forum

I was looking for an answer before i write, but i didnt find it.

I ask now...

How can i change the user folder's location??

I have splitted my HDD in 2 disks, and I want to place (and share in my hybrid win-Mac network) the content information of my user folder.

How can i do that??

thanx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.