transferring problems

S

sevenkay

ok. i have been trying to transfer files from my pc to my new mac. i've read several help files, posts, etc. but i keep having problems. i am connecting the two via ethernet cable. my mac shows up on my pc, but it is password protected. i am entering the correct name/password (or so i think) but it will not allow me to access it.

on the mac, when my pc shows up on the finder, and i try to click on it, it says "the alias could not be opened because the original could not be found." so i click "fix alias" but that does not work. what do i do? i just want to transfer some music!

OP
T

todd51

Well, if you have an iPod I highly suggest that. It would be much easier I believe.

Are you sure that your ethernet cable doesn't have to be a cross-over cable? If memory serves me correct if you were to connect 2 PC's together directly you always needed a cross-over cable. Maybe I'm wrong. Other options are to burn a CD/DVD. That's all that I can think of right now. Hope I helped!

OP
S

sevenkay

how can i use my ipod to transfer? i'm trying to but i can't get it to work. the ipod isn't showing any music on the finder. it just shows "calendar, photos" things like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
sevenkay said:
how can i use my ipod to transfer? i'm trying to but i can't get it to work. the ipod isn't showing any music on the finder. it just shows "calendar, photos" things like that.
finder won't show the music because it is in a hidden folder. If you want to use your ipod to transfer files, you need to enable it for disk use . They used to have a guide on the apple site on how to use your ipod for transfers but I didn't find it. I did, however, find this guide which offers a couple of ways to transfer your files over

OP
S

sevenkay

i just can't get the itunes folder to show up on the ipod. it comes up on the desktop, but it only shows calendar, photos, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
to get the itunes folder to show up on the ipod to need to show hidden files. To do this, try this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.