Macbook and New to Mac! Help required

T

tlck9

Hi All,

I'm absolutely new to MAC's and just took delivery of my new macbook which I've had now for a month.

I've got a couple of questions is anyone can help:

What can I clean down the case with?

I'm getting a tinge on my mouse button, although I use it very little as I use a usb mouse? is this normal

In the last couple of days I've noticed the same button making a different sound to normal, also seems a bit raised?

The base of the laptop is so hot and cannot have it on my lap - i've seen some threads that say what temperature its running at how can I tell?

and finally (if you havent fell asleep already!)

I wanted to change the location on the widget that gives the place, temperature and weather, though I cant seem to see where i can do this...its sets to Cardiff AL

Thanks for your help

T.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
tlck9 said:
Hi All,

I'm absolutely new to MAC's and just took delivery of my new macbook which I've had now for a month.

You can use something like iKlear. Check for safety instructions here.

tlck9 said:
I'm getting a tinge on my mouse button, although I use it very little as I use a usb mouse? is this normal
I think it is pretty normal. The color fades quite fast.

tlck9 said:
In the last couple of days I've noticed the same button making a different sound to normal, also seems a bit raised?
Doesn't sound normal. Is it loose?

tlck9 said:
The base of the laptop is so hot and cannot have it on my lap - i've seen some threads that say what temperature its running at how can I tell?
You need a 3rd party software or a widget for that. Have a look in this link.

tlck9 said:
I wanted to change the location on the widget that gives the place, temperature and weather, though I cant seem to see where i can do this...its sets to Cardiff AL

Thanks for your help

T.
When you place your cursor over the widget, it will show an "i". You should click there to change the location.

Hope this helped & Welcome to the Forum :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
A 1 month old macbook may be suffering the dreaded discolouration. Take it into an apple store and show them, and they should order you a new keyboard and top case right away. Either that, or phone applecare.

The temperature can be measured in a variety of ways, but I generally use CoreDuoTemp. The base only gets really hot if airflow under the machine is restricted, which is why it is recommended that you use a solid base (e.g. a lap tray, lapdesk, or similar) rather than placing it directly onto your lap. One with fans would be great, although I can't remember off hand who makes them.

Finally, to change the weather widget click the little letter i in the bottom right hand corner and the widget will flip round revealing the options.

If you search for these topics on the forum, you will get a lot of threads discussing them. You'll probably find all the information you need there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
Glad to help!

tlck9 said:
Hi All,

Thanks for your help

T.
You can clean the case with a product sold at the apple store caled iKlear. Its comes with a very nice cloth which will not scratch the coputer, I use it myself.

As far as the tinge, that is very bad. Some of the macbooks are discoloring, I would take it back to the apple store and see if they can replace it for you! You can also google it for alot of info on it

I dont really know about the button.... maybe the case is bad

The new macbooks have been know to run very hot. You need a program to tell you the temp. Go here http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12381

To change the location, open dashboard then go to the weather widget scroll over the widget and in the bottom right corner you will see and i. Click on the i and enter your zipcode.

I hope you enjoy your new mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
Cazabam and novicew i swear you guys replied as i was typing
LOL

OP
T

tlck9

novicew said:
You can use something like iKlear. Check for safety instructions here.

I think it is pretty normal. The color fades quite fast.

Doesn't sound normal. Is it loose?

You need a 3rd party software or a widget for that. Have a look in this link.

When you place your cursor over the widget, it will show an "i". You should click there to change the location.

Hope this helped & Welcome to the Forum :)

Thanks will check out the sites!!

Hadnt noticed the i, but hovered over it and changed it, thanks its been a source of frustration since I've had it.

Have to admit, although an avid Windows user since the DOS prompt, I'm enjoying the switch.

The mouse click button thingy...(very technical) is raised one side, and on the other is lower than the cursor scroller thingy so shows a gap. It felt really solid when I got it but now it sort of seesaws at each end, althought he middle of the button is sturdy (as it all was originally)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Yeah! We were faster than you. :D

OP
T

tlck9

Ug, now its cutting out on me!

Had to ring support today, as the whole unit kept shutting down when I booted it, the've reset it but got to keep an eye out. Had it happen a couple of times before but seemed okay for last couple of weeks

Checked with him about the discolouration, apparently this could be due to heat, so now got to trek up to Nottingham to have it checked out!!!

I hated dealing with PCworld but at least they were only 2 miles away!

I suppose this is what happens when you opt for the 1st stage design, well thats what apple said!

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.00 GHz
Any word as to if the black MacBook suffers from this discoloration problem as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
there are no discoloration problems with the black (and even if there were you probably wouldn't be able to see them)

OP
T

tlck9

I was tempted with the Black Case, but the additional £130 put me off, appreciate you do get the additional hardrive space, but I opted for the additional 1gb ram upgrade - so sure if it was the right decision.

My case looks patchy, a sort of dingy yellow colour - I had read somewhere that lots of the cases on the new macbook were discolouring - in different lights it looks okay and in other lights is looks like i've left a tea stain!!! all over the front of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
Yeah I heard somewhere that Apple was doing a quiet replacement of the discoloring cases. I'd give them a ring and see. If i was going to do a macbook I'd pony up for the black just to avoid my macbook looking like witch's teeth.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.