Private photos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP 2.0Ghz 1GB RAM & 30GB IPOD Video
My computer gets used frequently by my roomates I dont really mind other then the fact that I have some "private" potentially upsetting to a third party if some people were to see it however they are too good to get rid of. Is there a way of just protecting them so possibly they dont show up in the iphot library or maybe i could protect the photos themselves the point of the matter is that they are pretty much for my eyes only

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Create a separate user account for your roomates.

F

funkster

I think you're going to have to attach a few of these 'problem' photos so we can see the size of the problem we're dealing with here :doctor:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
There are two decent ways to protect information.

If it is really really private then use Disk Utility to create an encrypted disk image of an appropriate size. This way you can keep the images private because it will also require a password. Then move all of the private photos out of iPhoto and onto the disk image. Do _not_ have Keychain remember the password, because anyone logged into the account can then easily open the disk image.

Really you should have separate accounts when sharing a computer if for no other reason, to protect your data from getting messed up by others. You could make a guest account if you don't want to create many accounts. Turn on Fast User Switching via the Login Options in the Accounts pane of Preferences.

Once you have separate accounts, make sure that your iPhoto directory and files below it do not give out read priviledges to the group. Click on the iPhoto Library directory and use Get Info under the file menu to open a window that will allow you to remove read priviledge from other users. Under the Ownership & Permissions open up the Details section. Select No Access for both the Group and Others pop up items. Then click on the Apply to enclosed items... button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
corey.pete@gmai said:
Is there a way of just protecting them so possibly they dont show up in the iphot library or maybe i could protect the photos themselves the point of the matter is that they are pretty much for my eyes only

I don't have confidentiality issues, but I do have tons of photos (jpgs and tifs) that I don't want/need to appear in iPhoto. I keep them in a separate folder in "my documents". I can still get to them easily if/when I want to but they don't just show up when I open iPhoto. If I had really confidential stuff, I wouldn't even leave it on the machine. Would burn to disk and store remotely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.