• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What's With the Elitist Attitudes Around Here???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
First, I am somewhat new around here so maybe I don't know exactly how things work here yet, but one thing has really peeved me since I've been here.

So what is that one thing? The ridiculously rude responses I have gotten on multiple occasions when I've accidentally started a thread that already exists. Seriously, I understand the reason, but is the rudeness really necessary? I understand that I should search before posting, but if I don't search for a phrase that will yield the results I am looking for, is that really my fault? Should I spend twenty minutes searching, and searching, and searching continuously to make sure I won't get a smart-*** response like "hey, lets search and use the thread that already exists."?

If I get banned for this post - so be it. At least I'll know early on that I should find somewhere else to post.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only thread I saw where you were told to search was the picture of your RiG one. Those type of threads get so large, they just want to keep it all in one thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Richie_Gecko said:
First, I am somewhat new around here so maybe I don't know exactly how things work here yet, but one thing has really peeved me since I've been here.

Ha, yeah we are hard on most new people.
-1, they don't read rules.
-2, they cross post relentlessly Example:sameExampleSaidABitDifferent.
-3, they get offended when we correct them (see below), or they ignore it.

Richie_Gecko said:
So what is that one thing? The ridiculously rude responses I have gotten on multiple occasions when I've accidentally started a thread that already exists. Seriously, I understand the reason, but is the rudeness really necessary? I understand that I should search before posting, but if I don't search for a phrase that will yield the results I am looking for, is that really my fault? Should I spend twenty minutes searching, and searching, and searching continuously to make sure I won't get a smart-*** response like "hey, lets search and use the thread that already exists."?

I think the "...responses I have gotten on multiple occasions..." answers your question. But...

"...I understand the reason..." - then why the question? "...but is the rudeness really necessary..." - well, people get worn down answering the same ole questions over and over again. Its a recent movement at Mac-forums to not answer their questions and link them to searches.

"...Should I spend twenty minutes searching..." your using the wrong terms if your searching for 20 minutes. Often times the question has been answered a few threads below.

You will get "smart-***" answers from me, and if you don't like that then this is definitely not the place for you.

Richie_Gecko said:
If I get banned for this post - so be it. At least I'll know early on that I should find somewhere else to post.

too tempting :)

--
We do have a bar and grill, feel free to ask there if we have a thread with your idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
Hey Welcome to the Forums! This is a great place to get ansawers and provide ansawers. Apple discussion is very lively and good. The rules make this a good place to come. I have to agree people can get a little agressive about the search, but it is a good thing to use! I hope you like it here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Richie_Gecko, welcome to the forums. I understand that you don't want terse answers to your questions that basically tell you to find out for yourself, but that's the way it works on most forums. In fact, this is one of the least elitist forums I've known - the responses to genuine questions are generally accurate and very helpful without being condecending.

However, what you need to consider is that many people have similar questions. This is especially true when something new has come out, or when they are a new switcher. Would you be able to provide the same level of help to the fourth request for how to uninstall an application in the same day? Sometimes people ask questions because they genuinely can't find the answers, but a lot of times people ask questions because they want the answer given on a plate, without having to actually go and find out.

As a rule of thumb, if I can find the answer to a question within the most recent responses, a single forum search or a single google search (e.g. a search for "uninstalling os x applications" brings back over 11 million hits ...) then it's obvious that the user didn't put in any effort to answer their own question. If a precedent is set to always help them whether or not they could help themselves, then more complex or interesting topics may well get lost in the almost continuous stream.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
^^^^ nice way to put it!^^^^

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
Not to be rude but my car forums are exactly the same way for the same reasons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I don't see it so much that elitest but some times I do see people getting a little condecending upon people. I will just give them a neg rep point and I sometimes even write my name there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, there's more than one way of asking people to search...

M

menace3054

dudes, richie is a nice guy who has been helpful and offered insight on many occasions even though he's only been here for a short while. he made one mistake, dont be so hard on him for it. there are really people out there who join the forum with the intentions of casuing trouble. richie isnt one of them, i dont see the benefit of making him feel like an outcast

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
Richie,
I feel your pain. When i first joined i got off to a rough start and thought a couple members were singling me out. My first few posts weren't all that great. it seemed like no matter what i did i screwed up.

However, I did two things. Listen (or i guess read would be a better way of putting it) and search. Although a couple times i did try searching for something before i posted and when i was sure i didnt see it, i posted and sure enough somone had already started a thread on what i was talking about. It happens. After a week or two i started to feel right at home and for the most part everyone is great. All of the "regulars" here have fantastic tips and are always willing to help.

I was the same way as you are now. I didn't understand why everyones first reply to a thread was "Try searching first." However after having been here for a over a month i can see why. Every day or every couple days i always see posts like "What Mac should I get?" "How much RAM should i put in", etc. Even though these are valid questions, they have been answered several times. Give it a little more time and I'm sure you will enjoy it here. I know I have. :)

OP
Richie_Gecko
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
Thanks for the feedback guys. Unfortunately, I've decided to leave. As menace said, I've attempted to contribute to worthwhile conversation while here, but as a result of speaking my mind, I have gotten a very cold reception from most.

Having a reputation score in the negative numbers already, and having SOMEONE mess with my account settings, is just a little much for me. A lot of you seem happy here, which is fine, unfortunately I'm not.

I'll keep in touch with a couple of you, but as far as this forum, i'm out. Later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual core 20" iMac | 2GB RAM | 256MB ATI Radeon | 500GB HD | anticipated delivery: 7/3/06 -> 7/11/06
having SOMEONE mess with my account settings

I had the same experience with these forums. Someone decided to put something in my signature line after they apparently disagreed with one of my posts or felt I should have searched harder for an answer. Sad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20in 2.0GHZ Intel Core Duo 2GB Ram
Not to be rude but my car forums are exactly the same way for the same reasons.

Jeez, anyone driving an EVO should be banned for life from any forum!!

Seriously, some people can be anal about these kind of chat forums, you ask a simple question sometimes and boy do you draw some ridiculous responses!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
He got negative rep pretty fast in that thread.....

IIRC correctly studio34, that "someone" was Graphite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
i totally agree with graphite. at the risk of getting people ticked off, i think people reserve the right to be rude to someone who has disrespected the rules of our forums. Actually, i think people reserve the right to be rude. Its known as "life". It's happened to everyone, and I think its better to learn to deal with it or adapt so it doesn't happen than to complain about it. Come on, almost everyone's been banned by graphite at least once...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But then surely if that's the case macAttack don't people have the right to tell this graphite person or whoever to go themselves in return? Seeing as it's life and all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
don't want to start a flame, but no ones preventing anyone from doing anything. and thats the last post on that. Lets agree to disagree.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey man, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone! Just looking for fair play....

S

Sydrocentric

macAttack said:
Actually, i think people reserve the right to be rude. Its known as "life". It's happened to everyone, and I think its better to learn to deal with it or adapt so it doesn't happen than to complain about it.
So because it happened to everyone, we need to continue on this path?
What you really meant to say is life is about changing and not continuing on the same path that we walked. It is to make the path easier for our fellow human beings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.