Log out, but leave apps running?

Reaction score
Is this possible? I would like to pull up my password screen, and leave the computer running, just without anything else being started or played around with. Is it possible for me to do this? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
fast user switching

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
coach_z said:
fast user switching

Correct, by enabling fast user switching and putting it in the menu bar, you can click on your name in the top right hand corner and choose "log-in window" and it will bring you to the log in window with out logging you out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
Is there a way to assign a hot-key combination to bring up the login window?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
You can password protect your screen saver and use hot corners to activate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
coach_z said:
fast user switching

sorry for not elaborating, but that is going to be the best way for you to do what you want. also in order to switch users you can set it up so that you need a password to get back into that user

the one thing about fast user switching that i dont know about is if applications will continue doing what they were doing, for example, if you were rendering in FCP i dont know if it will continue working on it. most likely it will just pause it
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
coach_z said:
the one thing about fast user switching that i dont know about is if applications will continue doing what they were doing, for example, if you were rendering in FCP i dont know if it will continue working on it. most likely it will just pause it
-chris

No, they will keep on working if you just go to the log in screen. I do this all the time with various web, ripping and burning apps with no problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
Hmmm...I dont know why but I cant find "fast user switching" anywhere. I am looking in system prefrences> accounts and I'm still not seeing anything of significance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You need to have at least 2 User Accounts created and then you will be able to select Login Options below the list of users

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
trpnmonkey41 said:
You need to have at least 2 User Accounts created and then you will be able to select Login Options below the list of users

What I have is a second account that is my "fail safe" account, and is accordingly named, if i have a problem I check to see if I have the same problem in that account, if I don't then it is probbably a pref file and I restore it. So it actually is a good idea to have 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
I agree that its a good idea to have a auxilary account. I just wanted to point out that the fast user switching requires another icon in the menu bar. if you do this no icons and you've accomplished what you wanted

Picture 3.png

Picture 4.png

Picture 5.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
Wow where did you get that RSS screensaver?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.