• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

selling my ibook need help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
Hello I am going to show someone my iBook and he is most likely going to purchase it. I would like to back up all my documents and settings. Is there an easy way to do this in mac osX? I will be buying another mac. Or do I have to just burn everything seperately? Also what is the best way to erase everything completly? Fresh install i know can do that but is there a better way or program to completly wipe drive?

Thanks For All Your Help!

Reaction score
If you have .Mac, you can use backup. In thoery it will do exactly what you need, but I have had issues with it not restoring my data properly from the backup discs it makes.

To completely clear the drive, I would boot from the OS X disc, go to Disk Utility. Once there go select your main drive, go to the erase tab, click security options and select the 7 pass or 35? pass option, then erase it.

The 35 pass option will take awhile, I bet the 7 will be more than enough, unless you work for the CIA...

OP
MacMania55
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
Haha no I dont work for the CIA, thank you for your help that is very good info. I just now need away to backup I dont have .mac

OP
MacMania55
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bumpsky I really need a good way Help please!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
search the forums for backup programs, there are many suggestions out there.

i use carboncopycloner when i backup up stuff.

when i sold my external hard drive not so long ago i believed i used the 15-pass, but i didnt have anything too sensitive on that drive. if i were selling my computer as a whole i would take the 2 or 3 days that it would take to run to write it 35 times
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.