Macbook Not Recognizing Partitions on External HDD!!

Reaction score
I just got my new MacBook today, and when I plugged my external HDD which has 3 partitions on it, all three showed up, but now there is only 1 partition that shows up, and it doesn't show any of the files that are on it. Someone please help me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20in 2.0GHZ Intel Core Duo 2GB Ram
Did you leave the external HDD in Fat32??

Macs won't recognise NTFS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Open up Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities) and see if it is showing all 3 partitions. If it is click the partition and hit mount.

OneWorld, Mac's recognize NTFS no problem, you just can't write to them

OP
K
Reaction score
I plugged in my external to both usb ports and now it won't be recognized at all. I oped up Disk Utility and now it's hung up, and wont stop thinking

OP
K
Reaction score
Ok, my computer said "You need to restart" so I restarted the compuer with the external hooked up, and now it's recognized. However, my first partition shows up with nothing on it. How do I get it recognize my music partition?

L

LadyInRed

killawattz said:
Ok, my computer said "You need to restart" so I restarted the compuer with the external hooked up, and now it's recognized. However, my first partition shows up with nothing on it. How do I get it recognize my music partition?

I just went through the same thing with my Lacie drive. OSX would recognize the drive, however none of my music files would show up. The drive was formatted NTFS, however something was messed up. Tech support advised me to reformat the drive for Mac.

I ended up having to use my PC to copy all my files to DVD, then formatting the drive in OSX, then copying all my files back. Long and painful task. Wish I had a better answer for you. Lets us know how it turns out

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Why are you plugging your drive into two usb ports, all you need is one. Unless you are daisy chainning.

OP
K
Reaction score
I don't know what daisy chainning is, but I had plugged it into one, and it wasnt being recognized, so I plugged it into the other port, sorry for the confusion

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This was a while back but I still remember it to an extent. A friend plugged an external drive into his PowerMac G5. One partition would not show up. We found that sometimes OSX does not like partitions with no Name on them or if I remember right a real short name. Plug the drive back in your PC and check the naming on the partitions. That solved my friends problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.