Practical Uses for Automator?

Reaction score
What are they? I don't use it, but really can't think of any good uses for it either...

anyone care to enlighen me?

thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I don't use it either, but good uses for it are resizing a 1000 pictures so you don't have to sit there and do it you can make automater do it. There are more but that is the only one I have actually used it before.. i haven't used it since..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
The reason to use it is if you have a repetitive task that you need to preform a large number of times. Like resizing 1000 pics, as PowerBookG4 suggested.

The only time I have tried to use it was to merge to Mac. I mounted my old Windows computer over the network, and wanted to take every mp3 on my old computer and see if it was in my iTunes library. If so, ignore, if not, add it to the library. Never actually got it to work because Automator was just too simplistic (no conditional statements that I could find, had to use AppleScript).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
The only use i've found for it is to keep my folder of different wallpapers organized. When I download new ones, it changes the name to wallpaperXXX.jpg and resizes them if they are bigger. Other then that, it's been too simplistic as claudius said for anything else I've wanted to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
It is a very helpful tool if you want to rename tons of pics. (eg. pics. from your camera), Move large amount of files from one location another, search and delete duplicate songs from your iTunes folder, etc,. Have a look in this website. You will find plenty of other good examples.

F

fernando87

I don't use it nearly as much as I would like to, but there are times when it really comes in handy. Some of the workflows I use the most are batch resize, batch rename and add to itunes. These are the only ones I currently use, but I could see myself using it more often in the near future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I used Automator twice as a quick hack to record off air radio in the morning. When I leave for work, a program I like may have an interview going on or coming up, or special event I want to listen to. So I used Automator to record the program until it ends at 10am. Quicktime has several Automator commands that make this possible. I'm not sure if the Pro version is required.

I hook up a portable radio to the mic/line in port and leave it on, then run the Automator script. The script has a time out option that I have to calculate that will end the recording. Like I said. A hack.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.