PC gone...am I in the club, now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
FYI....progress report....

Had intended my "switch" to go more slowly. Gave it six months while keeping the PC at-the-ready alongside. However, having not even turned my PC on in four weeks (of six total since iMac delivery) I guess there's no sense in delaying longer. Disconnected everything and put the PC back in the box today. Rubicon well and truly crossed. Look out, Rome.

Of course I did spend a little time off-loading the last of my files and cleaning up the HD on the PC. Compared to what I've become accustomed to with the iMac, even that little work seemed a drudge.

Much more learning ahead, of course, but at least the iMac just sits there and runs -- and nothing other. That, alone, is a totally new experience.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Congrats! Glad the iMac worked out for you in the end. I had a feeling it would after you got used to it and got whatever programs you needed.

Welcome aboard!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Yeah, my $3000 gaming/HTPC rig just sits there and allows me to have the sound running from my Xbox 360 into it, and out through my PC speakers. I use Macs for everything else.

Reaction score
I did the same thing. I bought a Macbook to replace an old sony laptop I had with no intention of upgrading my PC. Once I started using the Macbook I was hooked on Apple. Then I saw the mini and how small and quiet it was. That quickly replaced the monsterous, noisy PC and I have been happy ever since.

jim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
If I didn't have a brand new corporate laptop at my disposal, I'd be looking at a macbook to go with my new iMac now. But the old desktop PC hasn't been on in a few weeks now.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
aveda6 said:
....monsterous, noisy PC ...

Forgot to mention that...........When I turned the PC on to ready it for storage, it sounded like the wrath of God starting up. Almost startling compared to the iMac. Ha!

Reaction score
I planned on the same thing when buying my Mac. I had my Windows Laptop sitting next to me and I would keep it by my side for months just in case.

Ha!

I havent touched my Windows Laptop but once or twice in the last 2 months.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.