Newly switched to iMac 20in!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20in 2.0GHZ Intel Core Duo 2GB Ram
Got it yesterday, shipped on Wednesday arrived on Thursday from Apple in Cork.

Beautiful machine, really classy looking and the screen is huge.

Got the wireless mouse and keyboard so i can tell those who were asking that you do not need a USB mouse and keyboard. Turn on the devices and then turn on the Mac and hey presto it pairs them and you're in business! Brilliant.

I also got the Mighty mouse wireless. A great little device

I have been using MS Vista for a while and it was a dreadful power hog.
This iMac is so quick and slick and quiet!

Have WD Book external hard drive which I put everything onto my PC from.
Had to leave it in FAT32 while on my PC, Apple won't recognise NTFS from what I believe And i got a 250GB version so had to partition it as Macs can read 128GB and below.
But Windows will only partition in blocks of 32GB so that took a while but
it all worked perfectly and the transfer of Data was flawless.

Love the way it hooked up to my Wireless network immediately and started downloading all the necessary updates.

Have Mac for Office which looks great i have to say. Though I do like the iWork stuff from what I've seen. Great thing is everything is clutter free, hardly any cables just neat and tidy.

I downloaded Camino and Opera and both work brilliantly. I was able to import all my e-mail's, bookmarks and contacts from Opera that I had on my PC.

So it takes a while to transfer the data and download our programs etc but it's all so quick and painless.

Really impressed so far. A lot more to explore!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
I too have an iMac 20" and I love. It's a workhorse and does everything i need. I know you will enjoy it.

C

C_Eggly

I also have a intel Imac 20in I love it. Prolly one of my best investments.

Reaction score
Congrats on the new imac. I'm new to the mac world as well, bought a mini in early june (and a new 19" lcd to go with that, shoulda just popped another $200 for an imac but oh well).

Then we bought a macbook a couple weeks later for my wife. Her old laptop was dying (sony vaio). Had a couple scares where it wouldnt power on and was afraid all her stuff was gone. But it powered on, I bought an external hdd, and transferred everything over so all is good.

As far as your external hdd situation a mac can read a hdd above 128gb. My external is 250gb as well and it recognizes the whole thing.

Was the WD iBook a new one? The hdd I bought was fat32 formatted (all 250gb of it) from the factory and I just left it like that. Was able to use it straight out of the box to transfer files from the vaio and another pc we have, plug it straight into my mini and use it immediately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual core 20" iMac | 2GB RAM | 256MB ATI Radeon | 500GB HD | anticipated delivery: 7/3/06 -> 7/11/06
I have a 20" iMac and it is the best computer I have ever owned. Wireless keyboard and mighty mouse ... the worst part is spending too much time with it. I can't seem to break away from it to do all the other things in my life. At least with my Windows machine, when I had to reboot frequently, I had time to clean the bathrooms, do dishes, fold laundry. The iMac has wrecked my domestic chore schedule. :)

OP
OneWorld22
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
voodoodaddy,

The iBook was new and was formatted in FAT32 for the whole 250megs...

I just followed the instructions from WD which said the mac wouldn't read something that size?

I shall be spreading the good word about Macs from now on, I think I'll be to convert a lot of people!

Both Dells and Macs are made here on my doorstep, I'll be directing anyone I know towards Apple from now on!

F

fliP

Don't convert too many people. Then we might get viruses and popups. That's the sole reason why I don't force everybody I know to dump their junk PEECEE's and buy Mac's. I know, it's selfish, but I like how my computer just runs. The only problems I've had is while on windows in BootCamp...

OP
OneWorld22
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jeez, you're right man!

I don't want no viruses and blue screens of death on my Mac!
I'll keep quiet from now on!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
OneWorld22 said:
Jeez, you're right man!

I don't want no viruses and blue screens of death on my Mac!
I'll keep quiet from now on!!

Haha, don't keep quiet! Convert as many people as you can.

If viruses do become a huge problem down the road, there's always virus protection. It still won't change the fact that OS X is a superior OS, and Apple makes superior hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
After owning countless PCs Dells, gateways, compaqs etc, the 20in iMac G5 is the best computer I have ever owned. I have had for about 20 months and it still runs like the day I got it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
If viruses do become a huge problem down the road, there's always virus protection. It still won't change the fact that OS X is a superior OS, and Apple makes superior hardware.

You know that really it, even if there where viruses I would still being using OSX. You just can't beat the feature set.

I might as well throw in as well, G4 mini here still running like the day I got it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.