Merge two AppleID accounts?

T

TMelcher

I recently purchased a new Macbook Pro with a .Mac account, and I would like to use my .mac email as my AppleID account. However, when I try to change my old account (based off of a GMail account), it won't let me, as .Mac automatically created a new AppleID.

This is my first Mac, and I have a significant (100+) collection of iTunes downloads that I had to reauthorize from my old Windows laptop. I would like to continue using iTunes downloads, but have them all on one account, to prevent an accumulation of AppleIDs, but would prefer using my @mac.com address, for obvious reasons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Have you tried contacting Apple about it?

OP
T

TMelcher

I "emailed" them with the support form on the .Mac help site, but I haven't gotten word back yet (that was 2-3 hours ago). They say it takes up to 48 hours, so I guess I should just be patient.

EDIT - I'll try calling. That'll probably produce more immediate results.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5 17 inch w/ 1 gig of ram, 6 gb ipod mini, and 12" Powerbook G4
When you get a response im curious to know what they said so let me know

OP
T

TMelcher

They were no help at all, offering a reply that did not provide any information about what I was trying to accomplish at all. Since I had only purchased a grand total of ten albums through iTMS before getting my .Mac account, I've burned and re-ripped them to .m4a with a clear conscience. I'm not going to redistribute on P2P networks or friends, so I think it's within "fair use." I just want to completely drop all reliance on my old, dated AppleID.

Here's the response that they sent:

Dear Thorne,

To edit all of your .Mac information you can follow these instructions. Here's how:

1) Visit the My Info website at http://myinfo.apple.com.

2) Choose your country and preferred language. Then enter your iTunes Store account name and password and click Continue.

3) On the My Account Profile page, look to see if there's a shipping address. If so, make sure the state or province field is filled out correctly. If you want to remove the shipping address, delete the contents of each field and remove the state, province, country, or region by choosing "select one" from their pop-up menus.

4) Now look at the phone numbers. The area codes should be in the area-code fields and the phone numbers should be in the phone-number fields. If an area code is missing, or if it is in a phone-number field, your account information may not save properly.

5) Make any other necessary corrections, then click the Save and Continue button.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.