Antenna connector to Airport Extreme Card broke!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16GHz C2D, 160gb 5400rpm HD, 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
The connector from the Airport Extreme Card to the Antenna in my iBook broke off from the wire.

I've temporarily taped the connector to the wire and I am getting poor reception from my wireless router.

What should I do to remedy this problem? I believe the connector is called an MCX connector. Is it possible to connect a new one [MCX connector] to the wire?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
how new is it? it could be under warranty.

OP
rcl1221
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16GHz C2D, 160gb 5400rpm HD, 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
macAttack said:
how new is it? it could be under warranty.

nope, my warranty was void (custom paintjob... among other things).

Reaction score
I've done the same...

... to my Powerbook Airport card.

As i was removing the card, i ripped the wire from the connector

airport_wire_1.gif

Luckily the wire is about 10cm and is joined by a connector inside the notebook to the rest of the antenna, therefore no need to dismantle the whole thing... the only thing is i cannot find this piece i need, even if it comes as a whole kit, i can use what i need.

I think i might have to get this repaired to look at places like Radio Shack

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The connector from the Airport Extreme Card to the Antenna in my iBook broke off from the wire.

I've temporarily taped the connector to the wire and I am getting poor reception from my wireless router.

What should I do to remedy this problem? I believe the connector is called an MCX connector. Is it possible to connect a new one [MCX connector] to the wire?

Can you work with a soldering iron? A low wattage (25W) soldering iron should be able to re-solder the connector back on to the antenna wire. Just make sure you do not unnecessarily move or in any way re-orient the antenna as that will result in poor reception.

Regards.

Reaction score
dismantled

i have dismantled my powerbook, removed the short antenna wire and i may as well try and get a replacement, but i may try the soldering trick (yep, im ok with soldering, i have a small electronics soldering iron, which is 12W, so i dunno if that is enuf heat. Plus i dont think it will solve the problem... dunno if its worth the hassle of trying to solder it, putting the whole thing back together and then turning it on to see if it works, potentially having to dismantle it all again!

http://ajmerphull.com/july/powerbook_g4/pbg4_04.JPG

http://ajmerphull.com/july/powerbook_g4/pbg4_05.JPG

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.