• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

do you shut ur computer off at night?

Reaction score
do ya?

I usually keep mine on...

I keep the desktop off though because the fans are so loud (its a pc)

macbook stays on though :)

is it bad to keep it on btw? (i dont see how it would be)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stuff
taseal said:
do ya?

I usually keep mine on...

I keep the desktop off though because the fans are so loud (its a pc)

macbook stays on though :)

is it bad to keep it on btw? (i dont see how it would be)

I ment no >.<, I keep my PC on. I reboot like ever 5 days then it starts to lag. It's funny to look at my AIM name and see that I've been on for 5 days 11hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I shut mine off every night, mainly to refresh the ram for the next day. That and because its habbit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
I usually just let the monitor turn off on my iMac. If i want the monitor to turn off immediately and I don't have anything downloading I'll put it into sleep. I never turn off my iBook. I just close it and it goes to sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Nope. I do let the monitor sleep though. My g4733 has been turned off for approximately 10 days total, in its 5-6 year life, as well as my imac800 (5 years).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
My MacBook Pro only goes off for updates. Or if I'm going to leave it for more then a day and I remember I remember to turn it off. I would put it to sleep but then the glowing light bothers me at night, so I just turn the screen off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I also just close my Macbook, unless I'm downloading stuff.

I think it's silly to keep a computer blazing through the night, unless you're doing something worthwhile. Turning it off won't damage it, and if you just sleep the thing, you don't have to wait for it to boot up either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i just close the lid of my ibook. if im not going not going to use it for a day or more then i turn it off, but over night it just sleeps ready for the morning.

like me really !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
I shut off the PC, and I put the MacBook into sleep mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hackintosh ,Quad, Editing Machine
never shut it off unless theirs an update or power outage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
I turn of my PC because it is so freaking loud, I am getting a water cooling kit/system installed soon, and it has actually been off for a while (not been doing much PC gaming, a lot of WoW on the Mac) but I watch movies on my iMac to put me to sleep so it usually is on overnight and don't get worried about the DVD menu getting burned into the LCD, i usually wake up when it ends (not on purpose just a body habit thing) to turn the screen saver on. But that's it.

I just can't sleep with that PC on being as loud as it is and espically because it is right next to my head, because the desk is right there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
I turn mine off at night. Mostly because the power where i live sucks. I came home one day to find my cable modem blown, and it was even on a surge protector. Ever since Hurricane Wilma last year the power has been really crappy. I did however keep it on all weekend last week. I think it ran better when i kept it on. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My iMac G5 has been on pretty much 24/7 since I bought it November of last year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
I turn all my computers off, because we have some power issue where the ground wire is bad. I don't want to wake up to the smell of burning computers :p

S

Sydrocentric

If I don't pass out and if remember I'll put her to sleep. If I end up staying out longer than that she may be on for days. Normally though, she goes to sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I leave it on all the time, even with power outages, I have the biggest APC UPS system you can buy to power my quad when the power goes out. I leave it on to render and other things, but if I am not rendering I will still leave it on because Mac OS X is desiged to be left on 24/7 and it runs maitence scripts while the computer is inactive durring the night.

T

todd51

When you guys put your laptops to sleep at night, do you leave them plugged in? Or do you let it sleep off of the battery power?

Sorry for the question but I'm just really concerned about my MBP's battery life and I want it to last as long and good as possible. This thing is my new pride and joy. Sorry!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I sleep mine with the battery. I only plug mine in when its below 10%

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4GHz (AL) iMac+
Nope, both iMac & MacBook's are a Sleep...!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
todd51 said:
When you guys put your laptops to sleep at night, do you leave them plugged in? Or do you let it sleep off of the battery power?

Sorry for the question but I'm just really concerned about my MBP's battery life and I want it to last as long and good as possible. This thing is my new pride and joy. Sorry!

I leave my iBook plugged in, but I've never noticed the battery going down the times that I do sleep it unplugged.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.