Does adding aftermarket RAM void Warranty?

J

JamminJonah

This may be a dumb question but I plan on getting applecare for each of my (to be) new machines -

1. Is Applecare worth it? (it seems to be but I'm new here :) )
2. If I purchase RAM and add it to my Macbook and MacBook Pro myself does that void my applecare or any part of my warranty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
1-I have never purchased it (knock on wood)

2-No, it does not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hackintosh ,Quad, Editing Machine
apple care definatly worth it, it cover any problem you might have including tech support, installing ram will not void your warrenty , since adding ram doesn not involve entirily opening up your maching and tinkering add 3rd ram is the best way to go , apple charges too much, hope this helps

OP
J

JamminJonah

Any brands of RAM you've had really good luck with? I used to use Crucial but I'm not sure if Macs use different RAM anybody have brands they trust?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Applecare is definitely worth it, it saved me about $3,500.

OP
J

JamminJonah

Buffered or unbuffered? How many pins?

I know both the MacBook and MacBook Pro run 667MHz DDR2 (PC2-5300)

Id like to grab a gig stick or two

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Have you read the Tech Specs for the machines you are getting on the Apple web sight? It will tell you exactly what RAM you need.

Mac RAM is the same as PC RAM, nothing special about it....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
yeah. Get some G-skill from newegg. It works great, and it's relatively cheap too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G
I added a simple stick of Kingston notebook RAM from Circuit City to my Powerbook right after I got it, and it works perfect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
Search function is your friend...We've had at least 4 threads on this in the past few weeks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
JamminJonah said:
This may be a dumb question but I plan on getting applecare for each of my (to be) new machines -

1. Is Applecare worth it? (it seems to be but I'm new here :) )

It's worth it, but I usually wait until the end of the first year before buying it.

2. If I purchase RAM and add it to my Macbook and MacBook Pro myself does that void my applecare or any part of my warranty?

It does not void the warranty. I also found out in another thread that replacing the harddrive doesn't void it either, which is FANTASTIC news! :D

Reaction score
Richie_Gecko said:
It does not void the warranty. I also found out in another thread that replacing the harddrive doesn't void it either, which is FANTASTIC news! :D

Just be careful, especially with the Mac Mini. While the actual upgrades don't void the warranty, any damage you cause or is caused directly by the added part is not covered by the warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
jc1350 said:
Just be careful, especially with the Mac Mini. While the actual upgrades don't void the warranty, any damage you cause or is caused directly by the added part is not covered by the warranty.

I'm pretty comfortable performing my own upgrades. Been building my own PC's for years. ;)

Reaction score
I just upgraded my Apple Support to over 3 years and am content with it.

Listen, I am not the sharpest mac tool in the shed thus $250 for 3 years is not a bad deal for me if my parts fail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
its not a bad idea at all, im a student so i paid $250 for applecare and it already saved me around $3,500. Hopefully you will never need to use applecare, but i think its better to be safe than sorry, atleast thats how I feel now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.