What is a good back up program?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
I have an external drive to back up to. What is the best program to use?

I do not want to use a program that will destroy the data I currently have on the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
For selected data backup (i.e. choose what you want to backup) - iBackup

For cloning (for later restoration in case of hdd failure or whatever) - SuperDuper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I use Tri-Backup which does it all.. and so far I really like it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Currious about any backup options that will back up the entire computer to multiple dvds? Any information on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I tried a few and settled on ChronoSync, as it gives you the option of a full back up or sync.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
carbon copy cloner
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
PowerBookG4 said:
Currious about any backup options that will back up the entire computer to multiple dvds? Any information on this?

I haven't found one yet, although I really wish they'd make one. Ghost is a staple for me in the Windows world.

Reaction score
PowerBookG4: I think zou can use carbon-copy-cloner to make DMG's of maximum 4.7 GB size and then put it in a burn folder.

I'd make a little script for this or use automator.

But I like Backitymac. There's also DejaVu that I got when buying Stuffit Deluxe. It can make regular backups to a HD, a CD or DVD from any specified folder. I do a backup of my Home Folder every fornight automatically at night to my Lacie 250GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I love Superduper!

Tests have shown it is one of the few backup programs that really copy everything, no matter how obscure or difficult correctly...

CCC is also really good.

Reaction score
I use SuperDuper. I liked it enough to pay for it. Now it will do a differential backup instead of cloning the entire disk each time (goes much faster). I played with booting from the external drive and it worked like a charm. Sure beats having to fool around with GHOST from my Windows days. Although, I have to admit that GHOST was sweet. I much prefer to restore an image than to rebuild from scratch. But, being able to boot from an external disk is so nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Hey great url there! Tri-Backup is partially reccommend while superduper is definitely reccommend so Im going to take a look at them and see what I think :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I think the scenarios he's testing are fairly obscure and wouldn't affect most users, but it's good to know that it's reliable!

I personally just went with it because I liked the UI and appreciate that it doesn't get in my stuff... (Deja vu kind of bothered me in that respect with its system preference panel, menu bar icon etc etc...)

Plus the developer (Dave Nanian) answers all support emails personally, which I always appreciate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.