New to Mac - Software Questions

J

JamminJonah

I'm going to be new to Mac -
I've been saving up for quite some time. I'm planning on buying:
(1) Mac Book 13" wide for my fiance'
and
(1) Mac Book Pro 15" wide (glossy) for myself

I won't have the money until Thanksgiving (ish) and I'm planning on waiting until/if the update the processor in the pro model and/or release the new OSX(Leopard?)

I've built PC's recreationally for the past 13 years give or take and I'm finally done with all of the garbage that goes along with being a PC user and am ready to embrace a lifestyle machine that will help push me to be creative rather than stagnant.

Hence my motives for switching to Apple - 1/2 the problems - twice the productivity. Anyways on to the question.
Since I am getting those two laptops (can we say empty bank account? $$$) software is going to be an incremental implementation.

If I buy one copy of Office for Mac can I install that on both machines? What is the cheapest way to license office. Also with Mac software in general can I install one copy on both machines or do I have to purchase two of everything?! I'm starting from scratch here so any help is appreciated. Also if you can point me to any new to mac or must know mac stuff that would be awesome I've learned a lot just browsing the forums for the past few days.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
Hey man. Great decision on your part. Best advice for office...get the Students & Teachers edition. It comes with 3 liscenses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
Here's a link to another thread I started. You only need the first post from it, the rest turned into a flame war really. But read the first post. Ask questions, use the search function. And most of all, just come in here, read the posts.

My advice: read every post, at least the first page of it, so that you gain a basic understanding of whats coming for you. You'll be amazed how much you pick up when you do that.

Here's the link to the thread about New Switchers:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38579

Good luck.

OP
J

JamminJonah

Thank you very much for the fast response.

Does the package say how many machines it licenses?

Can do - my Fiance is an educator :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.