Is a macbook supposed to shut down when...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD
1) it has been on for a certain amount of hours without break,
2) when it is being lifted while the charger cable is in the slot
3) when the cpu temperature reaches a certain level?

Just want some clarification, because my macbook rebooted 3 times today on me (could be user error), so clarifciation could clear that for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
It's not normal. A bunch of macbooks (mine included - it's currently in intensive care receiving a new logic board) have random shutdown problems. If you search for 'macbook random shutdown' on google you'll get loads of information about it. Basically, take it to your nearest apple store or contact apple care and they should see about replacing the logic board for you.

OP
BlueBacchus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright thx for the info.
I knew there was something wrong with the mac.
Quick Q though, how will they diagnose it?
What I am trying to get it is what should I tell them; my macbook turns off one me randomly?

OP
BlueBacchus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can somebody decypher this for me plz?

Aug 2 00:04:21 Macintosh kernel[0]: (64: coreservicesd)tfp: failed on 0:
Aug 2 00:16:47 Macintosh kernel[0]: (64: coreservicesd)tfp: failed on 0:
Aug 2 00:23:53 Macintosh KernelEventAgent[32]: tid 00000000 received unknown event (12)
Aug 2 00:24:27 Macintosh kernel[0]: (1313: ps)tfp: failed on 0:
Aug 2 00:35:06 Macintosh kernel[0]: (64: coreservicesd)tfp: failed on 0:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pretty much. By the sounds of it it happens quite regularly, so they'll probably keep it overnight on an 'extended diagnostics test' they have. All that has to happen is for it to shut down while they're watching it (i.e. overnight at the store) and they'll start replacing bits. It's a bit annoying, though - for the first fortnight mine was doing it, it never once shut down while at the apple store. I even left it for 2 days and it was fine. Got it home, and within an hour it did it twice.

Fortunately they eventually got sick of me going in and moaning about it (not strictly true, they're nice guys and I think they appreciated that I was trying to help diagnose instead of just saying "It's broke - you fix it") and decided to change the logic board and hard disk, at which point it suddenly exhibited the problem right in front of them. I swear that it was just waiting ... ;)

OP
BlueBacchus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah this is just a pain in the ***...
Prior to me purchasing this mac, I purchase a PC for $2500, and it was junk.
And the customer service from that company has been crap.
Ah I just hope I don't get any hassle from apple. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wouldn't worry too much - as is usual for these things they have to see the problem to diagnose it. If they started swapping parts for anyone who wandered through the door claiming an issue it'd get very expensive very fast. I have been very impressed by the Apple support so far.

OP
BlueBacchus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just really don't want any problems.
If indeed my mac is broken, all want is for them to fix it.
However I would be more than happy if they tell me all is fine.
Oh I am so worried now, I cannot sleep :(

BTW, do I need to take anything with me?
Like my OS X install disk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, just the mac. At first I was dead worried and had a sort of dread feeling inside me, but even now when they've had it a week awaiting parts (it eventually died completely and wouldn't boot - no point me keeping hold of it) I feel quite relaxed about the whole thing. The guys at the genius bar are certainly very good at customer service, especially if you're used to PC support places.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
Baccus, dont worry man. Apple customer support is world class man. They're going to take care of you. One thing you can do to stack the deck in your favor is to see if the shutdowns happen when you're doing one specific thing. Or if its just a matter of time, they're going to have to take it in and test it that way. Either way, no worries mate.

Reaction score
bishopazrael said:
Baccus, dont worry man. Apple customer support is world class man. They're going to take care of you. One thing you can do to stack the deck in your favor is to see if the shutdowns happen when you're doing one specific thing. Or if its just a matter of time, they're going to have to take it in and test it that way. Either way, no worries mate.

Agree. Sometimes they are a little...not that "happy" it seems on the phone but they get the job done.

OP
BlueBacchus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow my mac shut down 3 times within 30 mintues.
At all began when i turned it on at around 11:40am PST.
Then boom, it turns off. And the best thing is I could not even turn it on.
Each time when it shut down I had to give it 10 minutes before I could turn it on.
Ths is becoming very tedious.
I am absolutely ****** right now. Once my job is done, I am headed to the apple store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
BlueBacchus I am sorry for your loss. As your Macbook Brother I feel for you. Hopefully my Macbook will persevere while yours is in the hospital... :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlueBachus, if it's exhibiting the problem that often, it should be no problem to demonstrate it to the guys at the genius bar. As soon as they see it they should order you a new logic board. Don't stress! It will be sorted soon enough.

*goes back into zen-like trance state while awaiting the return of his preciousss .. I mean .. macbook*

OP
BlueBacchus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok just got back from the apple store.
So I went to the genius bar, and explained the situation to them.
After explaining it, the genius that was taken care of my case, he pressed the power button to turn the macbook on. How after he saw that it did not work, hetook the batter out, and pressed the reset battery command. I think he believed that that would solve the problem. Sure enough the macbook turned on after that. So once on, he looked through my dock, checking out what I was running. That took about 30 seconds. After that he was clicking on Safari, and bang, right there the macbook turned off.

In all honesty I was very glad and very reliefed that it happened right in front of them, and naturally I told him that. His reply was that he was also glad that he saw the problem occur. He told me that he needs to send the macbook in, which should take about two weeks, since it was a custom built one.

He said that in two weeks I would have it, and explained to me that they need to do a intense diagnosis on it. I really hope that this will resolve my problem.

Nik, thx for your support. I really hope and wish that your macbook stay healthy, and will not ever get this problem my mac brother :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.