Memory and HDD servicability

S

stardotstar

Memory and HDD servicability and External Monitor Resolution

(EDIT: I have been reading several threads that more or less answer the below - but I would like the question on the monitor to stand pls?)

Quick three:

How user servicable is the RAM in the MacBook Pro 15" 2.16G machine?
The specs say: 1Gb (single SO-DIMM) 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM - so can I purchase my own DIMM of the same speed and type and upgrade to 2G (after warranty period of course) or is it inaccessible to the user/specific apple ram?

Same question applied to the 100GB SATA 5400rpm HDD...
Can I purchase a 2.5" 120 GB SATA drive and bang it in - or source a 100GB 7200rpm SATA and swap them easily enough?

What external resolutions does the ATI x1600 support from the Macbook Pro: the internal LCD is up to 1440x900 - is this a constraint to external monitors in dual head mode etc?

Many thanks guys,
(very close to switching from IBM ThinkPad to MacBookPro)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
No: the macbook pro can drive displays with at least up to 2400x1900 pixels (or whatever resolution the 30" cinema display has).
So there's basically no limits on how large a display you connect.

Ram: Yes, easy to do - you don't void your warranty by swapping it, there's a special door for easy ram access.
Harddrive: Yes, hard to do - you DO void your warranty by swapping it as you have to take apart the entire case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.