Camino-who else loves it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD
Ok, the first thing I did right away when I received and connected it to my network, I downloaded Firefox (as most of you know through my previous thread). Well after I heard about Camino, and several people had expressed their delight with Camino, I decided to give it a try myself.
Oh boy, what a joy it is to be using a mozilla browser specifically designed for the Mac OS. Just wanted to see who else loves the browser with a cut name.
I must admit I went from a Firefox addict to a Camino lover. Not that I say that I do not use Firefox anymore (I use it addictively on my PC), but I just cannot describe what a great feeling Camino gives me when I use it. :)
Share your thoughts here if you wish too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Ive tried Camino and a few other browsers, but I always go back to Safari. When Safari wont do the job, I use firefox because I really like the theme I have.

G

Gregor

I've always kind of subconciously wanted to use Safari, but I really need tabs. Are there tabs in Safari? I've heard there's something in the debug menu that might let you enable them. I did use Camino for a bit but I keep going back to Firefox, not sure truly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
I too am using Camino but barely notice any difference from Firefox...any one wanna fill me in on the differences?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Gregor said:
I've always kind of subconciously wanted to use Safari, but I really need tabs. Are there tabs in Safari? I've heard there's something in the debug menu that might let you enable them. I did use Camino for a bit but I keep going back to Firefox, not sure truly.

Safari has tabbed browsing, to turn it on go to:

Safari > Preferences > Tabs > Enable Tabbed Browsing

Reaction score
Gregor said:
Yes, the new Safari has tabs, and I really like it. I used to use firefox, but now safari seems to do everything I need, and I love the simplicity of it.

OP
BlueBacchus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PunkRockTuba said:
Safari has tabbed browsing, to turn it on go to:

Safari > Preferences > Tabs > Enable Tabbed Browsing

Oh wow I did not know that.
:lol: Now I look like a *******.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I use camino over firefox on my macbook because it seems to cause less of a temperatur e hike. I'm not sure what FireFox does, but it's one toasty hot browser :)

OP
BlueBacchus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How hot does your macbook run when you run firefox/camino?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I like Camino. There are a few quirks that bug me, but overall I really like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
cazabam said:
I use camino over firefox on my macbook because it seems to cause less of a temperatur e hike. I'm not sure what FireFox does, but it's one toasty hot browser :)

Could you do us a favor? Or me. Whatever.

Anyways, could you download the CoreDuoTemp proggie and run it and give us the info on the differences in temp? Id be interested in knowing if your Macbook runs hotter just by running different software. Coreduotemp will tell you what your temp is.

Thanks,
Bishop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
bishopazrael said:
Anyways, could you download the CoreDuoTemp proggie and run it and give us the info on the differences in temp? Id be interested in knowing if your Macbook runs hotter just by running different software. Coreduotemp will tell you what your temp is.

Seeing as there is some interest, I happen to already know. When I run camino, it runs with a core temp of around 59-61 C. When I run firefox, it runs around 63-65 C. If I'm doing other things, leaving firefox running in the background, it adds about 3 degrees C over camino. I think it may be the various extensions I have that cause it (noscript, adblocker, distrust, etc).

Reaction score
I love Safari but its RAM usage really is starting to get to me the more I use it.

I love Safari's Apple and Mac News updates.

Does Camino have that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
There is now RSS support in Camino yet its v1.0.2. Camino is great because it makes use of OS tech like the keychain, plus its light and fast. I use NewsFire for all my feed needs. it looks great works as expected, nice feature set. worth the price imo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
IronMac said:
There is now RSS support in Camino yet its v1.0.2. Camino is great because it makes use of OS tech like the keychain, plus its light and fast. I use NewsFire for all my feed needs. it looks great works as expected, nice feature set. worth the price imo.

Ditto, I just bought NewsFire a week or so ago. Definately worth the price. I like being able to hop through the articles just by pressing spacebar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So why exactly do we all love Camino? What are the differences between it and firefox?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
NikBhat said:
So why exactly do we all love Camino? What are the differences between it and firefox?

It supposedly looks more "Mac-like". I don't see the similarity though, besides similar colored buttons to Xcode. I like Firefox with the Grapple skin; it looks far more Mac-like.

OP
BlueBacchus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I used Safari for a bit last night prior to that I used it d/l Firefox), and I prefer Camino over Safari. It appears that Camino is faster, and I find it easier to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
NikBhat said:

For me:

1. It feels faster
2. I like the bookmarking system (folders in the bookmark toolbar is awesome!)
3. I like having the "X"s on the tabs themselves
4. Dedicated to just being a browser

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kaidomac said:
For me:

1. It feels faster
2. I like the bookmarking system (folders in the bookmark toolbar is awesome!)
3. I like having the "X"s on the tabs themselves
4. Dedicated to just being a browser

excellent. thank you very much!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.