My imac troubles...

Reaction score
Tell me if this makes any sense whatsoever.

I bought an imac with 2gb of upgraded ram and the first night was a dream. The next morning my wife was checkin her mail and stuff and the system FROZE. I had to power it down and then it kept freezing and doing all sorts of crazy stuff. A technician recommended I replace the 2gb with the original 512mb...I did and my problems didn't stop. It just shut itself down and kept hanging up on reboot. I put back in the 2gb of ram and it worked for a bit but eventually started doing the same crap. So I contacted Apple and they suggested I take it in to have it looked at (a 2 hour drive for me). As a last resort I decided to replace the 2gb of ram with the 512 just to make sure it was in there good and whatnot. That was last night. This morning it went to a black screen on wake and froze up 1 time on adium. Since I've had NO problems and it appears to be working fine. I can't reproduce the freezing so I am afraid to send it in because they may not find anything wrong. I've decided to send the 2gb of ram back...

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD
If you can be more precise. When you took it to the Apple store for the first time, what exactly did they tell you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I would keep using it for a while and throw everything you can at it so see if you can recreate the problem. If nothing happens then I wouldnt worry about it too much, but you still might call and ask to see what they think could be the problem. If it works for a while then messes up, I would take it to the apple store and see what they say.

OP
G
Reaction score
it froze up again today while burning a cd and on reboot it kept freezing. i bought it from MACMALL so i have it packaged and someone is coming to pick it up tomorrow.

i really hope i can get a working unit. it has bummed me out pretty bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.