Switcher ?'s re:Hardware and Parallels

Reaction score
I have always been a fan of Macs, but have never been able to purchase one as a semi-serious online gamer who is afraid a game that I would like to play will not be compatible with Macs. I have recently found out that I can run both an Apple OS and Windows at the same time using Parallels.
I currently possess a computer I built myself, a budget SFF machine with an AMD Athlon64, nVidia 6600GT, 1GB RAM, 200GB HD, and I would like to keep it, as I do not have the money to spend on a whole new computer.

Can I purchase a Mac OS and install it on my current hardware?
Can anyone with Parallels give me any anecdotes about playing games on Windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Slade xTekno said:
Can I purchase a Mac OS and install it on my current hardware?

No. Apple is in the business of selling computers. They do not license OS X for use on non-Apple hardware.

Slade xTekno said:
Can anyone with Parallels give me any anecdotes about playing games on Windows?

I haven't played any games using Parallels, but it won't work very well. Parallels doesn't have support for any intensive 3d graphics. For games, the better solution is Boot Camp. http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro/ 2.4GHZ / 2GB
i have a macbook 2ghz with 2gb ram, and i am using parallels. I have found that some games work but some do not. If your looking to play older games like doom, starcraft, diablo, moto GP then sure it works, but who plays those anymore (cept StarCraft which can play on OS X). So my guide to you, keep the current PC and get a MacBook. Game on your PC and then if you want you can play WoW on your Mac when your at a cafe, club, etc. and some other minor games compatible with Mac. The thing i do love about parallels is that it allows me to use Internet Explorer and be able to watch streamed WMA on Gamespot, while mac OS X intels do not allow yet

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.