OpenOffice on new Macbook

B

Big Tau

I tried to download OpenOffice of my new Macbook and after it was put on my desktop I double clicked it and during the installation it said that i would need X11. Well i then downloaded X11 and during its installation it said that I already had a newer copy so it wouldn't let me. So now i have no office program, except the incredibly slow Office 2004 demo thing. Would I be better to just go ahead and get Office because i need to be able to connect to the PC's at college?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Big Tau said:
I tried to download OpenOffice of my new Macbook and after it was put on my desktop I double clicked it and during the installation it said that i would need X11. Well i then downloaded X11 and during its installation it said that I already had a newer copy so it wouldn't let me. So now i have no office program, except the incredibly slow Office 2004 demo thing. Would I be better to just go ahead and get Office because i need to be able to connect to the PC's at college?
You can't download X11 for Tiger 10.4.x.
You have to use your installation discs to install X11 for Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
To install x11 you need to put in the OS X DVD that came with your MacBook. X11 is one of the optional installs on there. If you want a version of OpenOffice that is OS X native and doesn't need x11, try NeoOffice. They have an Intel-compatible beta out. Personally, I don't use those programs. MS Office works fine under Rosetta for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Big Tau said:
so is it not already installed or do i have to manually install it
It is not already installed and you have to manually install it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD
I like the 30 tria of office that I decided to just go ahead and purchase a copy.

zal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BackMac Book 2Ghz Duo-Core, iMac G3(running Os X)
^ i never had to install x11 and i'm running open office and gimp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
zal said:
^ i never had to install x11 and i'm running open office and gimp

Really? Did you buy it directly from Apple? Maybe they recently started installiing X11 from the factory, but I know that as recent as March it didn't come installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac Intel Core Dou, 2 Gigs RAM, 100 GB hard drive.
My Mac is a month old and I had to install X11

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.