Should I buy a Macbook now?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just bought an iMac G4 (as an investment, not for use) and am looking to get a new Macbook Pro. But it seems buying at this point would be rather, well, stupid. The new dual cores should be coming out soon and there may be other releases/updates at the WWDC.

I just don't want to buy a laptop this week and then see something drastically better available the next day...

So... when would be a good time to buy? What should I wait for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
That is an inevitability of technology. At the rate which computers advance its going to be hard to find something which maintains a top position for a while. That being said, in November they are going to release Leopard and from what I understand the new Core 2 Dual processors as well. Granted, i JUST recieved my Macbook, but I need mine for school. If time is not a factor, wait until November at least, then maybe 1 more month for initial glitches to work themselves out. But by then there will probably be somethign new :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
wallock said:
I just bought an iMac G4 (as an investment, not for use)
Given the rather rapid depreciation of computer equipment value, why would you buy an iMac as an investment? Just curious.

OP
W
Reaction score
jhelm007 said:
Given the rather rapid depreciation of computer equipment value, why would you buy an iMac as an investment? Just curious.

Good point :) I should have been more clear - I just got an iMac G4 off of eBay for $280 which I plan to immediately resell for around a $200 profit. I just haven't received it yet (should be here on Wednesday).

The only reason I mentioned it is because I posted a question about it's value yesterday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Wait. The WWDC is only a week away, if they release something new you will be able to get it or get the previous model for less money. However, i don't think they will anounce new MacBooks Pro in the WWDC. A replace for the PowerMac G5 maybe, but not new MBPs, at least not with the new chips.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD
Don't expect new MBP with the new Core 2 Dup chipsets (Merom) before the end of this year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Here's a puzzle that confuses me somewhat; many people are put off buying what is available right now because the 'next big thing' is just around the corner. When the next big thing arrives, they say "Don't buy any Rev A products!" and so do not get it then either. By the time Rev B comes out, the 'next next big thing' is just around the corner, and so they do not buy.

I do wonder when anybody actually buys anything?? ;)

Reaction score
Don't expect new MBP with the new Core 2 Dup chipsets (Merom) before the end of this year.
I disagree, my buddy said they will be out in about a month and some back orders will have them. I have a 17in. 1.67 GHz still in the box and was offered more than I paid for already, why??
I have no idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
cazabam said:
Here's a puzzle that confuses me somewhat; many people are put off buying what is available right now because the 'next big thing' is just around the corner. When the next big thing arrives, they say "Don't buy any Rev A products!" and so do not get it then either. By the time Rev B comes out, the 'next next big thing' is just around the corner, and so they do not buy.

I do wonder when anybody actually buys anything?? ;)
LOL.
I wonder the same thing myself.
The best time to buy your Mac is when you want it. Forget the hype about what's coming next.... forget the "buyer's remorse" feeling you think you will have when something "better" comes out.... pay no attention to rumor sites that tout information from "reliable sources" about new developments....etc.

Bottom line... only Apple knows exactly what they are going to release and exactly when they plan on doing so.

...and they ain't tellin' anyone else about it before it happens.

Get your Mac when you want or need it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
D3v1L80Y said:
LOL.
I wonder the same thing myself.
The best time to buy your Mac is when you want it. Forget the hype about what's coming next.... forget the "buyer's remorse" feeling you think you will have when something "better" comes out.... pay no attention to rumor sites that tout information from "reliable sources" about new developments....etc.

Bottom line... only Apple knows exactly what they are going to release and exactly when they plan on doing so.

...and they ain't tellin' anyone else about it before it happens.

Get your Mac when you want or need it.

I couldn't agree more. When i first got into computers 10 years ago and my friends and family started to realize that i was "The computer guy", they would always ask me if they should get a computer now or should they wait. My answer was always "Computers are always changing. Faster, better, cheaper. If you get one now, something better may come out tomorrow. Or it might not."

If you keep waiting you will never get one since you will always be waiting for that "perfect" computer that will never come. Like you said, get it when you want. When i found out that the intel macs could do windows i bought mine. And i loved the OS so much i've never installed windows :) Now I hear about the new core 2 duo chips. Would I like to have one when it comes out? Maybe, but the Mac I have now is awesome and i have no regrets.

just my 2 cents :)

X

Xshare

Here's my problem. I need one for school. The WWDC keynote is exactly 1 DAY after the sales-tax free weekend ends in my city. The sales-tax weekend is probably the cheapest I'll be able to get a macbook, UNLESS they lower the price/release a new model on WWDC. I definately need to get one by the 17th of august though. So should I buy it? Is there a return/exchange policy, if somethign newer comes out the next day!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I don't think that there is a return policy just because you wish you'd waited, but on the other hand there is no guarantee of something newer/cheaper coming out immediately after WWDC. I would think that new macbook logic boards might start appearing soon to address some of the Rev A issues that have been spotted, and if yours starts exhibiting problems then getting a Rev B logic board under applecare should be easy enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD
taseal said:
and why would you say that?

How long have the MBP been in the market?
Additonally when is the Merom paper launch?
Add to that supply and demand.
Also add availability of the core 2 duo processors, and do not forget the build time they require for the MBP to be included with them.
So they might offer them in a month, but does not mean that you can have it in a month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Xshare said:
Here's my problem. I need one for school. The WWDC keynote is exactly 1 DAY after the sales-tax free weekend ends in my city. The sales-tax weekend is probably the cheapest I'll be able to get a macbook, UNLESS they lower the price/release a new model on WWDC. I definately need to get one by the 17th of august though. So should I buy it? Is there a return/exchange policy, if somethign newer comes out the next day!?

Since the MacBook is the newest Intel Mac and none of the other computers have had any updates, I think it's HIGHLY unlikely that the MacBook will get any changes at WWDC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.