in windows you can use netscape for
an easy way of building an homepage,
how to do it in safari? or can i?

I cannot install anything on my computer because it belongs to my
department (u of kansas)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I still prefer Netscape 6 for WYSIWYG, although I do use iWeb and Dreamweaver...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Remind me not to send my kids to U of Kansas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Its the departments computer they can put whatever limits they want on their machines

Reaction score
trpnmonkey41 said:
Its the departments computer they can put whatever limits they want on their machines

True, but the systems at my college had just about every piece of software that you could want installed on them. What good is having a system for the students to use if you lock it down so much that is makes it worthless?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
But it sounds like they are actually giving him/her the machine to use. Its not a machine in the public lab that has every piece of software. I am sure if the user went to the department and asked them to install the software they would do it (provided it it is for use on something that the department is giving him the machine to use)

OP
Q
Reaction score
me too

IronMac said:
Remind me not to send my kids to U of Kansas.

i wouldn't send my kids here either.
unless i'm paying for his/her tuition, then i would consider.

OP
Q
Reaction score
trpnmonkey41 said:
But it sounds like they are actually giving him/her the machine to use. Its not a machine in the public lab that has every piece of software. I am sure if the user went to the department and asked them to install the software they would do it (provided it it is for use on something that the department is giving him the machine to use)

right, this computer sits in my office.
but i'm a gta not a professor so i can't order the tech support people around, there's
a linux lab that has netscape so i could do it there, just inconvinient...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
There are a few ways to do this in OS X, but most require installation of new software. One way that doesn't is learning HTML and using the text editor, but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for.

There are free WYSIWYG tools available such as Nvu that could be what you're looking for? It's very similar to the old Netscape/Mozilla page editor but much more powerful and uses the latest Firefox gecko engine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Quashu said:
right, this computer sits in my office.
but i'm a gta not a professor so i can't order the tech support people around
It isn't "ordering anyone around" if you simply ask them. If certain professors do "order them around" then those professors are hosebags. Just explain that it is something that will assist you in your job duties and they will probably give you the green light to install something. And if they don't allow it, then you are no farther behind than you were at the start. There is no harm in asking.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.