Garageband won't respond to midi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
I have a keyboard plugged into a midi sound module that is plugged in to my macbook via usb. I have the drivers installed like they should be for the sound module, and garageband even tells me that a midi input is detected, and yet when i press a key on the keyboard nothing will happen during recording. I really have no idea what I'm doing here, so any help would be appreciated. :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Check the input/output volume in your System Preferences.
If you are having any more questions about GarageBand, the Help file for it is actually very decent and will answer your questions faster.
:black:

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
i don't think that was the problem, since i was talking about midi, (i'm also not that dumb,) but after a reinstall of the midi drivers, it works now. i don't know why, but whatever at least it works now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Fromasta Flex said:
i don't think that was the problem, since i was talking about midi, (i'm also not that dumb,) but after a reinstall of the midi drivers, it works now. i don't know why, but whatever at least it works now.
Nobody said you were dumb. I was only trying to help. :black:
There is an input/output volume control in the System Prefs for connected MIDI devices (if they are connected).
That is actually one of the first troubleshooting steps in the GB Help file. Same thing happened to me before and all I had to do was adjust the output volume.
Either way, its good to see you got it working.
:black:

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's been like, a year and a half since I first posted this...but I did a clean install of Leopard and put the new iLife on here, so I had to reinstall the drivers for this thing to use it with garageband again, and now I'm having this same problem again. Garageband sees that a midi input is detected but doesn't respond to anything I play. Also, there doesn't seem to be any input/output volume control for the sound module in my system preferences. Can anyone help me out?

p.s. Devilboy, I apologize for coming across so rude in the initial posts of this thread, I think what I was meaning was I didn't think I was dumb enough to miss something like volume control, and I accidentally came across as accusatory, sorry. :)

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nevermind, I figured it out, I had to turn on usb-thru on my sound module, and it initially didn't work after doing that, but then I realized I had to power off and on the module for the settings to take effect. These things can be really confusing!! This thread can be deleted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.