Newbie: System Restore?

B

bluntski

I'm a new Mac customer because I couldn't take any more of Billosoft's, but now with the Mac, I don't understand how to do a system restore. With windows, it was as easy as going to start, my programs, accessories, and bam! But now, with the Mac (OSX 10.3.9), I can't seem to restore my disk back to an earlier date. What do i do?

Ever since about last week, the mac has been acting up, and that is why I'm trying to restore. If it can't be done, but is there a way it can be done?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
system restore?! you arent using windows anymore buddy!

first tell us what exactly your computer is doing.
second, search the forums on how to do a 'repair your permissions'
third, dont swear
-chris

OP
B

bluntski

Eek, I don't want to reinstall. And sorry about the language. I just want to revert to maybe a week ago, before forced restarts started popping up, or before these weird text things came on the screen, freezing the rest of the comp. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
bluntski said:
Eek, I don't want to reinstall. And sorry about the language. I just want to revert to maybe a week ago, before forced restarts started popping up, or before these weird text things came on the screen, freezing the rest of the comp. Thanks.

ahh, sounds like a kernal panic.....usually caused by faulty hardware. have you installed ram around the same time that this all began happening? or changed anything at all re: hardware? or moved your computer(if its not a laptop)?

btw, an 'archive and install' just reinstalls the os and keeps all your personal stuff in tact
-chris

OP
B

bluntski

Yeah, I moved my Mac from my old house to my new. What do I do about Kernal Panics?

OP
B

bluntski

Also, I can't seem to do a software update. Everytime I attempt, it'll freeze after it downloads and begins to verify and install... I tried downloading the file from apple.com, and when attempting to install it, I got the forced restart screen. It's sad to say, my Windows is working 10x better than my Mac :/ And my Windows is older. That is what I'm typing on now too...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Turn on the computer and hold down Apple + S
When the prompts are finished loading type

/sbin/fsck -f

and hit enter. If it repairs anything, run the test again until it doesn't find anything. If it can't fix errors then you will need to send it to apple

OP
B

bluntski

Hmm, I think that may have worked, it said everything was done successfully... But now the mac gets stuck at Login Window starting. Is there a way to start up comp in safe mode and do some thins in there?

Reaction score
similar question

I too am a new mac user. I recently lost a file off of a computer from work and heard that by restoring the mac I could retrieve that information. Is this correct and how would I go about doing it? Thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What do you mean by "lost a file"? What is it you did to lose a file?

No, you can't retrieve a file by re-installing the OS, unless the file is one that the OS installs.

If that is the case, what file is it?

Reaction score
lost file

The file was a data file on a computer at work. It was suddenly missing from the desktop one day and we have found no trace of it. We checked in the trash, which hadn't been emptied for a while. We also searched for the file name of some of the contents and found nothing. Nothing else is 'missing' off of the computer. It seems to have been completely deleted. The file contained research data that had been generated over a few months and amazingly had not been backed up in one central location.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.