cooling pads

S

spiderpong

I know Macbooks generate a lot of heat, and I am considering getting a cooling pad for my 2.0 WMB with 1 G RAM. I came across two pads that I am interested in:

a) iLap - like the fact that it would be comfortable on my lap

b) Coolermaster Notepal - had fans, USB powered

I am leaning towards the iLap since it's more versatile - meaning I can use it on the desktop as well as the lap. Not sure if I want fans rotating on my leg/pants.

Does anyone own either of these and can comment on their performance? Or other suggestions?

I live in Canada so usually my selection is more limited in availability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
are you going to be using it on your lap all the time? Otherwise look at the icurve, its good to use on the desk and use less room.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
I got a chill pad from targus for my wifes macbook. works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I also have a chill pad. Keeps it about 10º cooler than using it without.

OP
D

DeathToPCs

How well does that chill pad work? Does it keep the laptop on there pretty secure? I am looking for something to keep it cool but at the same time I dont want it to be sliding off of there all the time. I want it to be really secure but would also like some kinda stand so that it can tilt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i use a 'podium pad' by whatever company makes it, allows more air flow and the fans dont run as much when using it
-chris

OP
E

ExTrEmE

Right now im using a Lapcool 3 by Vantec not bad cooler it keeps about 10º cooler then normal. Im running around 62º right now normaly im running about 70

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
the chill pad works great for cooling, but on your lap, it might be a problem because the laptop isn't actually flush with the cooling pad. There are actually two little raised rubber bumps at the back to raise the back of the laptop.

OP
M

menace3054

ShillAT said:
the chill pad works great for cooling, but on your lap, it might be a problem because the laptop isn't actually flush with the cooling pad. There are actually two little raised rubber bumps at the back to raise the back of the laptop.

does it run off the usb port like best buy says? i was about to go get one but my usb ports are full and i dont want to buy a hub

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Yea the chill pad is powered via usb

OP
M

menace3054

i got the one with the 4 usb ports so that worked, thanks for the response

whats interesting is that with the chill pad core duo temp shows my processor as running at 180 degrees, before it was in the 150s-160s, wierd

OP
R

Rob

I have both a chill pad and a Antec Notebook cooler.

The Antec is soo much better. Buy it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
The Antec isn't well suited for actual lap use review - my friend has the Targus Chill Pad and works great

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
yeah I have a Targus chill pad also, with two USB powered fans. I like it because when Im gaming on my ibook, my lap doesn't get hot. The targus fans are nice and quiet, and they don't seem to use a lot of battery power.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.