Which Mac is for me?

Reaction score
I am going to college soon. I have saved up enough to get a new mac. I can't decide if i want a macbook with 2gigs ram, a base macbook pro, or a 20' iMac w/ 256 graphics and 2gigs of ram. I see advantages of each model, but no clear chocie. Help me please. Im sorry if this board has covered this a million times.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The first thing we need are your requirements for the use of the computer. What is it you plan to use it for, beside writing reports and e-mail?

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you, I am a musician and i would like to make use of garageband or something to do multi-track recording. Games are not essential but i'm sure ill want them on a boring night. That and just simple daily usage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I would try for the macbook pro, and if you can, put 2 gigs of ram in it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
yeah get the MBP. Then, if you think you need more RAM, save up and get some decent aftermarket stuff. I'd recommend G-Skill from newegg.

OP
S
Reaction score
ShillAT said:
yeah get the MBP. Then, if you think you need more RAM, save up and get some decent aftermarket stuff. I'd recommend G-Skill from newegg.
At first the MBP was my clear choice. Yet i don't think i would take it out of my room that often. The iMac seems safer because i don't think i would drop it and if i spill juice on the keyboard it is no deal. The iMac is also alittle cheaper. The MBP is just barely in my price range. I had planned on getting aftermarket memory to save money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
if you dont think youll need portability and the iMac is a better deal, get it, they are both great machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Find the solution with plenty of RAM - musical endeavours need it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Go MacBook Pro. Trust me, you'll need the porability, and if you're going to college, god knows what your roommate could do to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.