Mouse movement

A

amki

I bought an iMac DV 400 mHz, 129 Mb RAM, 10 Gb hard drive el cheapo on online auction as trial to see if I want to switch from my PC. Essentially, I'm amazed and delighted with this little thing - it even looks brand new - but I don't like the way the mouse works and can't find anything related to the problem in online manuals, etc.

The mouse is an optical Apple Pro Mouse. It is set for highest pointer speed, and that is OK, but I have to move the mouse itself excessively. It almost seems that I have to move it as much as the pointer moves, i.e., if I am on the righthand side of the screen and want to go to the left side, I have to lift the mouse two or three times (or move the keyboard out of the way and just keep going) to get to the other side. By contrast, I only have to move my PC mouse about an inch to get all the way across my 17" (vs. Mac 15") screen.

It doesn't seem to me that this should have anything to do with machine speed (my PC goes at 1.47 GHz), but I can't even find the problem addressed, so I tend to think it might not be a solvable problem but, rather, a "condition" of the little Mac. Not being too technically efficient, I have exhausted my meager resources and must ask for help.

Thanks.

Jo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Have you tried another mouse? Any USB mouse will work.

OP
A

amki

D3v1L80Y said:
Have you tried another mouse? Any USB mouse will work.

No I haven't, but I will. I prefer the wheel type anyway. Thanks. Is there any reason to suspect that a mouse (that looks brand new) that is by Apple for Apple wouldn't be satisfactory?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
Is the mouse moving smoothly every time you move it, or is it jumpy? If its jumpy, it is probably a problem with your mouse.

If it moves slowly but smoothly, you need to increase you tracking speed. If you set it on high already but it still moves too slow for you, try MouseZoom, a free utility to increase your tracking speed even more than the max that Apple gives you.

OP
A

amki

Mouse

claudius753 said:
Is the mouse moving smoothly every time you move it, or is it jumpy? If its jumpy, it is probably a problem with your mouse.

If it moves slowly but smoothly, you need to increase you tracking speed. If you set it on high already but it still moves too slow for you, try MouseZoom, a free utility to increase your tracking speed even more than the max that Apple gives you.

It moves smoothly. I'll make a note of MouseZoom and look into that after I solve my next problem, which is to get the Mac online along with my PC router, i.e., I'm not online yet. Thanks for the tip.

Jo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.