Where to put photos and music?

Reaction score
Hello all...

I recently just bought a new 20" Intel Dual Core iMAC and this is my first crack at the MAC world. This is also my first post on this forum but expect to see alot more from me. :p

I have several pictures and music (MP3s) on my Windows laptop and want to transfer them over to my iMAC. The iMAC came with iLIFE06 installed so there is iTunes and iPhoto on it.

What MAC folders should I transfer my photos and music into so that all users on my iMAC can use them from iPhoto and iTunes?

Thank you....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i suggest the 'music' and 'pictures' folder that is already set up for you :)
-chris

Reaction score
Defaults

Canadianapex said:
Are these the default folders under iTunes and iPhoto?

Yes, those are the defaults. It is easier if you just leave them in the defaults.

Reaction score
In order to see the pictures in iPhoto or iTunes the easiest is to just drag the files into the app's library window. The application automatically copies the original file to it's folder and organizes the files. You don't have to ever bother with folders again

OP
C
Reaction score
Yogi...as I am new to the MAC world, where is each application's library found? Is it inside the Music and Pictures folders created by iTunes and iPhoto?

Thank you to all

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Default folders are under the Users, username of the computer, and inside that the Pictures and Music folders.

What Yogi is telling you to do to make it easy to add all your Pics and Music into iTunes and iPhoto is open say iTunes and just drag all the music to the main iTunes window and the same with iPhoto with your photos. That way you would not have to add it in later after you copy it to those default folders. Just copying it to the default folders will not add it to the iPhoto and iTunes library. Yogi's way will do both in one operation.

Hope this helps and you understand what I am trying to say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
I think that the Shared folder would be best because he wants to share the library between mutiple users. Also a quick trick for importing is to drag files onto the respective dock icon. This has the advantage of opening and importing in one step if the app is currently not open or running in the background. Just make sure you set iTunes and iPhoto to look in the shared folder for the respective libraries in the preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Canadianapex said:
Yogi...as I am new to the MAC world, where is each application's library found? Is it inside the Music and Pictures folders created by iTunes and iPhoto?

Thank you to all

Yogi was suggesting you open iPhoto/iTunes and drag the pics/music folders into the iPhoto/iTunes library. It will copy them into the correct location and you can delete the original folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.