Please read; I hate my (g4) iBook....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
Excuse me, but my iBook is a piece of ****. I've had it since Winter 04'... I have 1.20 GHZ, 1 GB ram, and tiger 1.4.7.

I have to restart every day or so because my ram paging is so high that im reduced to 567 Mbs of disk space. (never gets lower than 567 for some reason???)

My CPU is constantly running in the upper 90's even as I writing this its on %95-%98... im not even running anything intensive. (Bon echo, safari, itunes, adium, acquisition, tomato torrent, and dashboard to be exact.)

Oh, and yes I do have "better performance checked" under energy savings.

My internet is experience is less than mediocre... No matter what browser im using I cant even play a intergrated QT video with out the video skipping and my (user)cpu running to %95-%98, ****, I cant even play a simple you tube video anymore... And this makes me reallyyyyyyy mad. 2 months ago my was doing fine in the internet department.

I try to repair permissions at least twice a week but I usually forget... when I do repair, it dosent seem to do much of anything.

Is it time to buy a macbook? I really cant afford much intill Christmas.

Should I re-install osx? I really dont want to, but if it means a smoother OS than im all for it.

Ughhhhhhhhhh, any help/suggestions is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 macbook
I would re-install the OS. Seems like you got your hardrive cluttered and a fresh install is always good. But Im no mac expert.

If it was a pc...
defrag,spyware/virus check, Run tune-up
but those days are over for me :)

Reaction score
Just wipe and clean install, sounds like a software problem and that'll fix it.

OP
iLEFTOVERCRACK
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks.

I have 35 GB's of music (MP3's and a few FLAC) and a few vital app's that cannot part with... And I dont have an iPod anymore. What is the easeist way of transfering it to say, my desktop PC?

And i've never done and Fresh install before, can someone tell me how long its going to take? and what dvd do I use? My Tiger dvd or my Pather dvd that came with my iBook.

Thanks.

Reaction score
To get your stuff onto your PC, I would just create a shared folder on the PC. Then go to 'Network' in OS X and it will hopefully show up, then just drag and drop.

Don't forget to de-authorize iTunes.

Use the Tiger one, I would plan on it taking a couple hours to everything back up to the way you like it, then a bit longer to get all the patches.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
if you are on a network with the PC then you can simply transfer the songs via hard cat5 cable or wirelessly.

Or at least, that is how I would do it on my pc...i assume this would work (and be easier) for a mac!

OP
iLEFTOVERCRACK
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Umm. My ibook just froze and I hard restarted it. And now when I try to boot it up the screen is (no joke) going from red to blue to green to grey and then a lighter grey and then just a black screen.

Oh my god... What do I do now?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
iLEFTOVERCRACK said:
Umm. My ibook just froze and I hard restarted it. And now when I try to boot it up the screen is (no joke) going from red to blue to green to grey and then a lighter grey and then just a black screen.

that is the "You are 'emo' screen"

ahh i kid becuase i love :headphone

OP
iLEFTOVERCRACK
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, i reset the pram and now its booting up. But when I login to my user name (keagan) it loads the finder and just frezzes. BUt when I login to Root it's fine for a couple minutes and then it frezzes... Any ideas?

OP
iLEFTOVERCRACK
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
NikBhat said:
that is the "You are 'emo' screen"

ahh i kid becuase i love :headphone
haha I actually laughed at that.

Thanks.

Reaction score
can you boot from your Tiger disc? Do you know anyone that has an external hard drive that you could borrow?

OP
iLEFTOVERCRACK
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, i've booted up in root and it seems to be doing fine. And I want to create a "shared folder" so I can transfer my music over to my pc so I can do a fresh install. And when I goto the network tab in finder and click on my pc "Fortuna" and enter my password and stuff. I get "Alias "fortuna" could not be opened, because the original item could not be found"... How do I connet to my pc?!

Reaction score
Don't use the alias, go to Network> then either mshome/workgroup and find it that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
to me it sounds like the hard drive is failing, not a software problem. But that is just my windows experience talking.

OP
iLEFTOVERCRACK
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think its my logic board... thus, im taking it into the apple store tomarrow. Does anyone know what the turn around time for something like a logic board replacement is???

OP
iLEFTOVERCRACK
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, but it still keeps locking up. Even after a clean install... Im really hoping that its just HD failure and I can get my iBook back on like monday or something.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It could very well be a Hard Drive problem as you have had the machine for a while. Did you try running the hardware tests on the OSX CD/DVD? If it turns out to be the hard drive they should be able to fix it pretty fast. Motherboard though might take a while since they might have to order one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
That definitely sounds like a hard drive problem to me. I just had a similar issue with my windows notebook. Computer would run fine for 10 minutes, then blue screen of death...then 5 minutes, then BSOD, and on down the timeline. Eventually, it wouldn't even boot...must've been bad sectors on the HDD where the OS was. Anyways, I gave up and bought a mac. I've been wanting to for a long time, and this gave me the excuse. I've not looked back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.