New to Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 1GB RAM
A friend suggested I look at an iMac or Mac Mini when I told him I wanted to replace my PC. This is just a home computer, but I do want to edit videos and author DVD's for home use. I am also frustrated with the amount of issues we run into with the PC at home and at work.

I did a search on the forum but I have some specific questions.

1. Does a Mac work on websites that require IE? Some of the sites we access give an error message if you aren't using IE.

2. How easy is it to share MS Office documents with the PC world (work is all MS Office)?

3. What types of web development software is available for the Mac? I currently use Dreamweaver to create and manage our website at work.

The main use of our computer at home is for Internet, e-mail, Office apps, web development, and some kids games. Like I said, I want to start doing video editing (mainly home movies). Is the Mac Mini or iMac a suitable choice over a PC for what I need?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Welcome to Mac-Forums!

To answer your questions:

1. Sites that require Internet Explorer, require Internet Explorer. So any other browser would not work. All new Macs are able to run Windows, though, so if you have a copy of Windows XP sp2, then you should have no problem with those websites.

2. Very easy. Just get Office for Mac. The files are not OS dependent.

3. Dreamweaver is available for Mac. Along with GoLive and about a hundred other (less feature rich) programs.

The iMac would be *more* suited for video editing, but, depending on the size of the videos, a Mini would be more than fine, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
Also note that some of the websites that say they require IE really don't actually require IE. There are many tools to 'Spoof' your user agent, that is your browser will tell the website in question that it is IE6 on Windows when in fact it is not. This will work on some sites.

If you give a list of sites that say they need IE, I would go try them on my Mac to see if they will work as long as they aren't password protected sites of course.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 1GB RAM
claudius753 said:
Also note that some of the websites that say they require IE really don't actually require IE. There are many tools to 'Spoof' your user agent, that is your browser will tell the website in question that it is IE6 on Windows when in fact it is not. This will work on some sites.

If you give a list of sites that say they need IE, I would go try them on my Mac to see if they will work as long as they aren't password protected sites of course.

Thanks for offering, but they are password protected sites (work related).

I found they have a program, Paralles, that allow a Mac to run Win XP at the same time as OS X. Is that worthwhile or should I get IE for Mac?

I am still on the fence about this purchase. The cost difference is not too bad (approx. $600 more for a Mac). I am more concerned about the learning curve moving away from a PC. However, I did have to restart my PC twice while trying to type this post.

"If Bill Gates had a penny for everytime Windows crashes....oh wait, he does."
:)

A

Annie

I use Opera and Firefox on my PC and there are a lot of sites I get on that require IE. Some tech guys on www.worldstart.com (A great site for PC's by the way) told me how to do it but now I can't remember for the life of me! It did work tho which told me a lot about Mr. Gates.

Annie

Reaction score
benorubin said:
I found they have a program, Paralles, that allow a Mac to run Win XP at the same time as OS X. Is that worthwhile or should I get IE for Mac?

IE for Mac is no longer supported, and I believe that includes bug/security fixes (but I could be wrong on that part).

I bought Parallels when it was on sale for $50 and it was worth every penny. I'm always playing with new OSs (esp. linux) and this makes life very easy for me. If I want to try 3 different things, I don't need for destory an older install and I don' need multple computers.

It works very well - my wife uses a Win XP VM so she can work from home.

If it's for work, maybe you can expense it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 macbook
Couldnt you just use the mac version of firefox then use the add-on that renders pages in IE? I'am gonna go look!

Reaction score
Yeah firefox should work. Sites that require IE are plain simple bad sites, but who can help it. It's all jsut the site checking oone string in your browser to determine if your using IE or not, stupid actually.

As for dreamweaver, it's availabel for mac, and runs very nicely. You require suffiecient RAM thoug, (1 or 1.5 GB) because Dreamweaver is not Intel-Native and will have some slowdown on new Macs.

The same goes for Office for X 2004.

cheers
yogi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual core 20" iMac | 2GB RAM | 256MB ATI Radeon | 500GB HD | anticipated delivery: 7/3/06 -> 7/11/06
I need to use IE to access some sites for work as well and I use my old PC laptop for that purpose. I have tried using Opera to spoof the server into thinking I am using IE but our work site uses an ActiveX control to simulate an XP environment (a totally inferior and backwards solution). I suppose I could install Parallels or Bootcamp, but I am not terribly interested in corrupting my Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 macbook
Its not "currupting" you mac I use it on my macbook (bootcamp) and it works fine.
why would it corrupt anything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual core 20" iMac | 2GB RAM | 256MB ATI Radeon | 500GB HD | anticipated delivery: 7/3/06 -> 7/11/06
XP would not necessarily corrupt the Mac, its the poorly written ActiveX controls used on the pages I go to to access my work Intranet. They install themselves then leave a mess of temp files which do not remove easily.

Sorry that the comment sounded like I was a Mac snob. I am more of an application/web purist and the fact that IE is unsupported for Mac anymore is a blessing.

Reaction score
The only negative that I have with my mac is my inability to play CNN files and WMV files on several sites of mine.

I have FlipMac but it doesnt work so whatever

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 1GB RAM
Thanks for all the info. The real test comes today, however. I am taking my wife to look at a couple of Macs. She is not thrilled with the idea of change, but she is also frustrated with the frequent PC restarts.

I was looking at pricing and it seems the iMac is a better deal than a mini Mac. I will need a complete setup (mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc.) which becomes more expensive with a mini. Any preferences here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
A 17" iMac (with 1 gig of RAM) would be good.

I rarely encounter websites that have trouble with Safari. Dreamweaver and MS Office 04 are on the Mac, as are a lot of other common programs.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 1GB RAM
I took the wife to try out an iMac this evening. She seemed to get the hang of it fairly quickly. She was impressed by all the widgets in dashboard and the ease of the iPics and iDVD. She even got used to the mouse, something I am still having issues with (I'm sure I'll get over it). After doing some research, all I need to do is download IE for Mac to get around some website issues. I may not even need to load Win XP.

Now the big question: Is it worth the $500 - $900 over a similarly equipped Dell PC?

I looked at both the 17" and 20" iMac and there was about a $350 difference (the 17" I priced with 1GB of RAM and the larger 250GB HD). I like the bigger screen but she is not convinced we need it (we currently have a 15" LCD). The options we wanted were Office for Mac and AppleCare. Normally I wouldn't consider an extended warrenty but seeing how this is my first Mac, I may need it (any thoughts on this?).

As for the Dell, I priced an XPS400 with a 19" digital monitor and a few other options. It came to $1190 with tax (free shipping, as with the iMac).

I personally would really like a Mac, but it is hard to justify the price difference. We need to make a decision within the week. Keep the comments coming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 macbook
theres alot more power inside the the mac then shown. I Have a pc with 2.5 amd x2 (dual core) and my mac will beat it when opening programs such as firefox, and office programs. One thing that you may or may not know is startups times. This is one of my favorite things, on my macbook 2.0 512 Ram OSX starts up in 30 seconds! Its worth the money!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
benorubin said:
I took the wife to try out an iMac this evening. She seemed to get the hang of it fairly quickly. She was impressed by all the widgets in dashboard and the ease of the iPics and iDVD. She even got used to the mouse, something I am still having issues with (I'm sure I'll get over it). After doing some research, all I need to do is download IE for Mac to get around some website issues. I may not even need to load Win XP.

Now the big question: Is it worth the $500 - $900 over a similarly equipped Dell PC?

I looked at both the 17" and 20" iMac and there was about a $350 difference (the 17" I priced with 1GB of RAM and the larger 250GB HD). I like the bigger screen but she is not convinced we need it (we currently have a 15" LCD). The options we wanted were Office for Mac and AppleCare. Normally I wouldn't consider an extended warrenty but seeing how this is my first Mac, I may need it (any thoughts on this?).

As for the Dell, I priced an XPS400 with a 19" digital monitor and a few other options. It came to $1190 with tax (free shipping, as with the iMac).

I personally would really like a Mac, but it is hard to justify the price difference. We need to make a decision within the week. Keep the comments coming.

Benorubin,
my advice, you want a happy wife, get a Mac. Mine was so pro windows it made my ears bleed. But when I got a mac and didnt have to reboot for 2 weeks solid, she was amazed. When her computer crashed because she got infected, she ran to tell me not to download the attachment. I just smiled and showed her the email, attatchment and all, and a working Mac.

Look, its not the hardware anymore Ben. Hardware you can get anywhere. For the purposes of this thread we wont talk hardware, sufficent to say that you should MAX out your memory. (more on that later, so please read all the way though, ok?) The hardware is not an issue anymore. What you're paying for, the REASON to buy a mac is the operating system. Windows or Mac OS X. Its the OS. Thats why you pay for a Mac. The software, the ease of use, the operating system built on 'nix, no virus', no spyware, no malware, no hakers making your pc a zombie spam machine.

It takes time to get used to the idea, but its sooooo simple people sometimes dont believe it. It just works. (haha.. insert joke here about the .mac outtage) It takes time getting used to the idea that you really DONT have to update your spywareblaster, zone alarm, spybot searcha dn destroy, MS antispyware, and avg antivirus, THEN do your windows updates every day. You dont need to do that every day. Amazing I know. But thats how things work if you build it right, from the start, and continue to do it right, every time, every way, every day.

Please consider this when considering the prices. You can buy that Ford Fiestiva, sure its cheap, its sporty, and it goes... but are you going to have maintainence problems along the way?

Then there's the Mercedes. More than likely you'll pay for it and pay for gas, but little else. It'll just run. And run. And run.... you get the idea right?

Let me give it to you in PC terms. Its called AFTERCARE. Its something that people do NOT take into account when buying a PC. Aftercare is pretty simple. After you purchase it, you WILL wind up having some sort of problem. More than likely you'll need to pay a PC repair tech to fix it. Usally costing well over $150. Thats my expierience. Alot of my customers are dell buyers who wind up calling me when dell couldnt fix their problem, or they got a virus and need the drive cleaned off. Or something else....whatever. Usually people get so fed up with pc repair... and they never account for that in the pricing.

Now, most pc repairs in my shop are software related. Virus removal, spyware removal, XP reinstalls after infection, etc... consider that.

Vs. the Mac, where there are no virus'. And the easiest tip I give ALL my Mac customers. When you first set up your Mac, create a test account on the computer. Call it TEST, or whatever. But create it and leave it alone. Dont log into it, dont use it. When you have a problem, switch to that account, see if the problem still happens on that account. If it does not, the transfer your mailbox, address book and other stuff, and you're done. Easy. Simple. If you'd like to know more about this... just PM me. But I can tell you that I've saved my customers more money by giving them this tip. 9 out of 10, it solves the issue, it was just a hangup on their user account.

Anyways my advice, get the Mac. Take the plunge. Your wife will love you for it. Take the time to get it set up right. if worse comes to worse, you can spend the $150 for Parallels and an OEM disc of XP. ($50 for parrallels and $100 for the OEM disc of XP) Come here on the forum. Ask questions. I cant speak to anyone else's work with XP here, as most seem to be just end users, but since I make my living off of MS and its inability to make a solid, secure OS, I got TONS of advice for how to get your Mac up and running right.

My basic philosophy holds true... If you put out the initial money, time and effort now, 1 week into it, you're going to say it was the best spent money ever. Your family will love the way it works. It will take a few days to get adjusted but once you do, you'll never go back.

PM me if you want to know more.
Bishop

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 1GB RAM
Well, it's a done deal. I have ordered an iMac 20" with 1GB RAM, AppleCare, Office, and a iPod Nano (free with rebate form). The computer will be here within a week.

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread, it was extremely helpful and made my decision easier. I plan on being a member of this board, but with more questions than answers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White - 2.0GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HD
benorubin said:
A friend suggested I look at an iMac or Mac Mini when I told him I wanted to replace my PC. This is just a home computer, but I do want to edit videos and author DVD's for home use. I am also frustrated with the amount of issues we run into with the PC at home and at work.

I did a search on the forum but I have some specific questions.

1. Does a Mac work on websites that require IE? Some of the sites we access give an error message if you aren't using IE.

2. How easy is it to share MS Office documents with the PC world (work is all MS Office)?

3. What types of web development software is available for the Mac? I currently use Dreamweaver to create and manage our website at work.

The main use of our computer at home is for Internet, e-mail, Office apps, web development, and some kids games. Like I said, I want to start doing video editing (mainly home movies). Is the Mac Mini or iMac a suitable choice over a PC for what I need?

hey im a future switcher (christmas) and i have done a heck of alot of research on macs so im not totally useless.

internet explorer:mac was discontinued by microsoft but there is a mirror from download.com:
here

so that should fix any of your problems

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.