Apple States "contact Applecare" for Macbook Pro Whine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
So I was looking at TUAW.com (which is just a great site for apple lovers) and I stumbled across this

http://www.tuaw.com/2006/07/25/apple-kb-article-macbook-pro-whine/

"We reported a few weeks ago that it looked like Apple was responding to the infamous 'MacBook Pro whine,' however, there was no official word from Apple. Enter Apple Knowledge Base article 303365, which I shall quote for you, ' If your 15-inch MacBook Pro emits a high-pitched buzzing sound, please contact AppleCare for service.'"

So there you have it. Hope that solves any issues for anyone who has the whine or occasional whine.

Who's excited? lol :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
wow that is very exciting, I might give them a call tomorrow. ANyone try yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Ummm.... okay.
If I had a notebook that was making that kind of sound I would have called or took it in for service anyway.
Not seeing the big deal here.
:black:

OP
Mace
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
D3v1L80Y said:
Ummm.... okay.
If I had a notebook that was making that kind of sound I would have called or took it in for service anyway.

From what I heard they'd give you the big run around. And what if you take it to an apple store to demonstrate the noise and your laptop doesn't produce the sound then and there. I agree that most people would bring it up but it's difficult to get service to an issue that you see but can't replicate. I know my MBP does it every now and then. So now it's just easier for things to get done, 'tis all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
Mace said:
From what I heard they'd give you the big run around. And what if you take it to an apple store to demonstrate the noise and your laptop doesn't produce the sound then and there. I agree that most people would bring it up but it's difficult to get service to an issue that you see but can't replicate. I know my MBP does it every now and then. So now it's just easier for things to get done, 'tis all.

Exactly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet
I contacted Apple UK (Tel: 0800 039 1010) Technical support and they are going to replace the logic board and run tests, due to that my MBP has a whine. Although when I told them it was on the Apple website click here
they were not aware of it, they put me through to Technical support and the chap there was very helpful (he was american in fact). So if you have a high pitched buzzing noise from underneath the keyboard contact Apple. They said the repair time would be around 5 working days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
D3v1L80Y said:
Ummm.... okay.
Because up until now the whining was considered to be within spec, as ALL macbook Pro's with the older motherboards have it.

As soon as there is little/minimal cpu activity, it starts to emit a high-pitched noise.
The news is: Apple is acknowledging the issue, they've got new motherboards that don't have it and the problem is being resolved.

Next question: When is the new motherboard for the macbook (non-pro) coming out?

The whine is audible here too - it's quieter, but it's definitely there...

Reaction score
Does anyone know if my local Apple Store Genious Bar does the repair onsite, or will this be sent off and I'm Mac-less for a few days?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
psycht said:
Does anyone know if my local Apple Store Genious Bar does the repair onsite, or will this be sent off and I'm Mac-less for a few days?

Its replacing the logic board, I say minimum 5 days

S

storyoftheghost

im not sure if i have the sound...i gues i do, i always figured it was the hard drive or something

I

iRizzo

Wow. Mine isn't that bad. It only does it for a second when it wakes from sleep mode.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.