• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

waiting for Merom...

K

Katie

okay, I'm just very, very curious as to who out of the members here at the forums will be waiting for the release of Merom before purchasing their Mac. from what I'm reading, we won't know of anything for sure until after WWDC, correct? I'm also reading that it's a huge possibility that Merom will only hit the Macbook Pros in the beginning and not the Macbooks (for a while, at least). if I have any of my information wrong, please let me know because I'm trying to understand and figure out as much as I can! :) and please let me know if you're waiting as well and why. thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yes, there are members here who will wait for just about anything before they finally suck it up and buy a Mac. They have a litany of reasons to wait that seem to make sense to them and justify waiting endlessly.
Some of my favorite "reasons" are:

+Rev. B/C/D will be out "any day now"
+next WWDC
+next MacExpo
+Appleinsider/MacRumors/some other random rumor/fantasy Mac site said to wait
+Steve Jobs ate chicken salad on the third Saturday of last month
+its been 6 months since the last product update
+The Apple Store site is "down" because one person can't seem to access it
+Apple always releases updates on Tuesday, so at least wait until then
+Intel is developing a new chip... which automatically means that Apple will pick it up and use it in a Mac
+Its "cool" to wait for those "guaranteed" updates
+They can't think of any other better reason to stall and not finally get a Mac

:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
D3v1L80Y said:
Yes, there are members here who will wait for just about anything before they finally suck it up and buy a Mac. They have a litany of reasons to wait that seem to make sense to them and justify waiting endlessly.

+next WWDC
+next MacExpo
+Intel is developing a new chip... which automatically means that Apple will pick it up and use it in a Mac

Those quite a few reasons why I did NOT wait to buy my MBP. There is always going to be something bigger/faster/better coming out. If you keep on waiting for the next baddest chip, then you'll try to rationalize waiting for the one after that and on and on and on...

My MBP does me fine. In three or four years from now, I may cnsider upgrading to a newer more powerful Laptop. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stuff
Mattlike said:
Those quite a few reasons why I did NOT wait to buy my MBP. There is always going to be something bigger/faster/better coming out. If you keep on waiting for the next baddest chip, then you'll try to rationalize waiting for the one after that and on and on and on...

My MBP does me fine. In three or four years from now, I may cnsider upgrading to a newer more powerful Laptop. :)

Whats Merom?

Reaction score
well i'm giving them until xmas time... because I will give my macbook to my dad when I go visit them, and in turn he will prolly give me 1500 for it (sort of like a xmas gift if I give him mine lol) and with that I will either get another macbook (same one) or I will end up getting whatever is new (hopefully core2duo)

so they have til xmas from me.... if nothing new is out til then (or a date has been listed which apple doenst do) then I will just get another macbook

OP
K

Katie

D3v1L80Y said:

+next WWDC
+next MacExpo

I was just wondering.. but.. okay...

OP
K

Katie

Mattlike said:

I see. :) and, I agree. I'm waiting for WWDC simply because I would hate knowing I bought something that could've been improved or whatnot just a couple weeks later. if nothing major comes from WWDC, I'll be looking into buying my Mac as soon as possible. well, as soon as I have enough money to! that's actually the complete reason for my waiting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Katie said:
I see. :) and, I agree. I'm waiting for WWDC simply because I would hate knowing I bought something that could've been improved or whatnot just a couple weeks later. if nothing major comes from WWDC, I'll be looking into buying my Mac as soon as possible. well, as soon as I have enough money to! that's actually the complete reason for my waiting.

I think that's totally fine, but just don't wait too long or you'll still have no Mac. :D

OP
K

Katie

Mattlike said:
I think that's totally fine, but just don't wait too long or you'll still have no Mac. :D

haha... no, I know for a fact I'll be owning one by the end of this year no matter what... just when the time allows. :)

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
I am waiting for atleast Merom before I get another Mac because even if you think Core Duo was a giant jump from the G4 you will not believe how fast a Core 2 chip is. I'm sure most of you have seen the benchmarks AND power consumption (most importantly). It's fast, it's efficient, enough said.

Reaction score
ezhangin said:
I am waiting for atleast Merom before I get another Mac because even if you think Core Duo was a giant jump from the G4 you will not believe how fast a Core 2 chip is. I'm sure most of you have seen the benchmarks AND power consumption (most importantly). It's fast, it's efficient, enough said.

yeah, core2duo is a huge breakthrough even after coreduo

its a crazy leap

i think they are not gunna use it on macbook though, to boost mpb sales, they will use it only ont htat

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
I hope they use it in the MacBook even though I fear you may be right. It's just a hunch I have too, sadly.

I love how the multiplier can go way way down on the Core 2, should hopefully work out perfectly with the "Better Energy Savings" setting in Mac OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
ezhangin said:

While the jump from a G4 to a Core Duo was huge, the jump from a G5 to one wasn't as big as Apple likes to claim....

Reaction score
baggss said:
While the jump from a G4 to a Core Duo was huge, the jump from a G5 to one wasn't as big as Apple likes to claim....

g5 to what, core duo?

just wait til core2duo :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
this is my issue, since macbooks solder in their CPU no chance of getting faster, but i want a meron CPU, but i am also am impulse person, i research of course, but if i want to buy it, i want tobuy it now, now in 2 months :(

OP
K

Katie

I'm kind of like an impulse buyer as well. I really hate seeing the things I want being put off. I'm incredibly impatient. I'm still managing to hold on though, because if Merom is released quickly after WWDC, I think it'll be well worth it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.