• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Do you think?...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
Apple should have stuck with the ibm/apple PowerPC chip and improved on it? Do you think the intel chip is better? Lets Discuss. :alien:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I think Steve took the pragmatic approach. Intel has a decent roadmap and switching to Intel leaves the door open AMD if needed. IBM has never and will never be a player in the desktop market, they're a player elsewhere (embedded market) and are not going to change. IBM would never have give Apple what it wanted or needed. Things like a G5 for a laptop or a 3Ghz G5 chip, in anything like a timely manner to satisfy Apples customers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
the development of the PPC chip stalled and was basically no longer being worked on by ibm for apple. intel has a better ability of producing better and more chips than ibm ever could
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Why stick with a company that isn't doing what they said they could do? Besides intel is still the king of chips.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
Graphite said:
Why stick with a company that isn't doing what they said they could do? Besides intel is still the king of chips.

Agreed. I think Apple made the right choice. I believe IBM is focused more on selling their blade servers and thinkpads than trying to develop the PPC Chip.

Intel is focused on making chips and probably has a better R&D dept than IBM in that sense. If Intel follows through on the things they are saying they can do with the new line of chips Apple can't go anywhere but up with the Macbooks, iMacs, etc. It will be intersting to see how everthing plays out. the biggest obstacle is getting all the software universal. But that will be in due time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz White MacBook, 1gb RAM, superdrive, 22in trinitron external monitor, 60gb internal, 300gb ext
im pretty sure ibm doesn't sell thinkpads directly anymore, i thought they sold the license to lenovo or something,

but yeah, IBM wasn't gonna cut it for apple and i think they definetly made the right choice in switching to intel

edit: according to wikipedia, lenovo bought IBM's pc devision
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinkpad

Reaction score
They had too much catching up to do, the last year of mobile PowerPC Apples were way underpowered in comparison to Intel's offerings at the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
well i think the intel chip itself is better ibm but I believe the quality is starting to slip. I mean lots of over heating, proc. whines, stainbooks more than before. I really hope apple doesnt become the next dell.

Reaction score
MacMania55 said:
I believe the quality is starting to slip.

The power consumption by the new intel processors getting released tomorrow is pretty low, should help with the heat issues. I think intel processors just keep getting better, for awhile there they were only dominated the mobile market, now thats a different story.

Reaction score
yep, but right when Intel starts to slip on the quality (that won't probably happen) then APPLE might take a look at AMD. I hope they take a look at AMD and hopefully AMD comes with a better chip soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't really see apple going to AMD in the next 10 years...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
Graphite said:

i dont see
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Graphite said:

Problem is, 2 years ago most people here would have said the same about going to Intel....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i could see maybe apple offering two different types of processors...amd or intel at some point...they both have their strong points (what they are i dont know)

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stuff
AMD is for gaming and overclocking which I don't think Mac need to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
PumpkinLand said:
AMD is for gaming and overclocking which I don't think Mac need to do.

people want to game on a mac. how many times a day do you see threads like "how will WoW run on my...." "how does COD2 run" "will we get halo2" "insert another thread about gaming" "can i play snood on my macbook" "why arent there more games for macs" "why is coach_z posting random thoughts in threads" "coach_z really does like nutter butter's"

--chris

Reaction score
coach_z said:
i could see maybe apple offering two different types of processors...amd or intel at some point...they both have their strong points (what they are i dont know)

-chris

exactly chris thats what i want to see, INTEL vs. AMD,the CPU wars. Because if they both compete the consumers will get a better deal and also the prices will hopefully in addition fall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
baggss said:
Problem is, 2 years ago most people here would have said the same about going to Intel....

Well, I don't know... Apple has been having talks with intel for a long time. Since the beginning of the mac line... I saw intel 5 years ago more plausible than AMD now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
coltssaturday said:
exactly chris thats what i want to see, INTEL vs. AMD,the CPU wars. .
aren't the lame Windows VS. Mac wars enough?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.